Issues with Equalizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had to abort a dive today due to equalizing probs. Yesterday we went to just over 90 ft for one dive and today the first dive hit just over 100ft. But todays 2nd dive was aborted after only 3 minutes. Everything was fine untill about 35ft. Could not get ears to cooperate at all. I ascended some and equalized a little and got to 45 ft and it was simply a no go. I rose all the way to 20ft and still could not equalize even the slightest. I told my buddy Tony to continue on with my friend Joel and I returned to the boat (dive was just started and we were practically under the boat at only about 20ft). I chose to abort as hearing is really not so overrated, and I enjoy the abillity to hear. I really did not want to take the chance. My head hurt so bad afterwords as well (headache), possibly from being really pissed that I was gonna miss a great dive and also because my ears hurt.

I equalized as often as I possibly could have, I even ascended several ft and tried again. On my return my ears REALLY popped at around 10 or less ft.

With that said, is there anything I could have done different to not have to abort.

I have sinus allergy problems and use Flonase during my high allergy months and sudafed decongestant before the dive. Important note: Do not let the decongestant wear off while diving or major problems can occur

Sinuses and ears are a tricky thing. For me being under the water makes mine feel so much better than on land.

Careful using the medications to treat your equalizing issues.

One final thing, I have to close my eyes because air comes out my tear ducts.

rapidiver:
Do not let the decongestant wear off while diving or major problems can occur
If you take Sudafed about an hour before every dive, like the DAN ENT I went to advised, it won't wear off. They usually last 12 hours. BTW, you can still get the regular Sudafed, instead of the PE. All you have to do is bring some card that is hanging by the Sudafed to the pharmacy counter and they'll sell it to you.

kchFLA:
One final thing, I have to close my eyes because air comes out my tear ducts.
Doncha hate when that happens? :furious:

I also notice that around 35fsw is the depth where I run into to the most trouble equalizing if I'm going to run into trouble on a dive. Sometimes the only thing that works for me is to swallow. Ascending a couple of feet doesn't seem to help.

Now this probably is a bad thing to admit, but a couple of times my left ear wouldn't clear, but Il continued a dive anyway (ooo, I can feel those flames already) and when I descended a few more feet, the pain went away. Why did that happen? Oh, and then if I swallowed at the new depth, my left ear cleared. Maybe it's been dumb luck that nothing serious has happened the couple of times I did this, and I certainly wouldn't recommend this practice, but it just seems to be something about my left ear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom