issues with HOG classic second stage, a small leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like you need a new LP seat.

Frankly the whole idea behind the class was for our dealers to teach it, plus they are actual skills that are better evaluated in person.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply. What I meant by tuning was to adjust the orifice, in an effort to solve a free flow problem I had lately. Although I haven't serviced any regulators in the past, I have a background in engineering, and I have read Regulator Savvy. So, I believe I understand how regulator works, at least theoretically:)

I was following tuning instructions given in one of the posts on this forum (can't quite find it at the moment, ) and I realized that I couldn't stop the freeflow unless the orifice was quite a bit in so that it started to slow down purging. That's when I started to think that something else might be involved. While adjusting the orifice, I always press down the purge button, and turn very small amount at a time.

I don't believe it is the spring in the barrel, but I do see some gunk built up on the outside of the barrel where it makes contact with the lever when the lever is pressed down. As I said, after cleaning up that area, one of the second stages no longer have the freeflow problem.

I want to take the class not to save money, but because I trust myself better:)

---------- Post added July 11th, 2013 at 04:35 PM ----------

How about build the reg blindfolded?:)

Also, there must be a way to offer the class remotely, like via video conferencing, in this day and age.

Hi Chris,
So, I believe I understand how regulator works, at least theoretically:)

As one engineer to another I feel I should remind you the difference between theory and reality.

According to theory the difference is between reality and theory is negligible; However in reality the difference is everything :wink:

We love engineers out on the shop floor. They can be "entertaining" when it comes to what works on paper and what the machinists and machines can/ will actually do on the production floor.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

We love engineers out on the shop floor. They can be "entertaining" when it comes to what works on paper and what the machinists and machines can/ will actually do on the production floor.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Fair enough. You have to watch out for the ring pullers like me though :)

I got my degree because as a tradesman I was sick and tired of dealing with the desk top engineers that didn't know the difference between an ideas and implementation.

I'd love to take this class in AZ sometime, if anybody else is interested.

---------- Post added July 15th, 2013 at 12:47 PM ----------

A remote class is such a great idea!

Also, the way it freeflows isn't very consistent on one of my second stage. On some breathes I get very little hiss, and on others it runs wild.

Fengz

Based on your description it sounds like you have a perfectly tuned reg.

The point of the breathing adjustment knob is to adjust the cracking pressure of the reg, so it should sit ~1/2 for normal operation. If you have it set to minimum cracking pressure of the regulator is more prone to free flow. The breathing adjustment knob is a dial not a switch so it can be adjusted through a range of settings not just fully open or fully closed.

Jim and Robert you guys are dogs:rofl3::rofl3:(I mean that in a good way of course) I'm just laughing my rear off reading your replies. LOL B.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom