issues with HOG classic second stage, a small leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please don't take this the wrong way...but by tune did you mean using the adjustment knob or were you trying something that involved the regulator off the hose? The venturi (dive/pre dive) will only reduce the likelihood of a free flow when the regulator is out of your mouth in the water. It is not the solution you are looking for.

You could just need a adjustment of the orifice (which if done incorrectly could lead to ruining the LP seat), or a new LP seat already. it is 'possible" but very unlikely that it's the spring in the second stage.

Given that the reg is a year old and what you have posted I am 99.6% certain your reg just needs adjusting via the internal orifice. Takes about 38 seconds by a good tech, 20 for a excellent tech and if it takes more than a minute...well...

Some excellent instructors have posted above me in this thread, any of them can service your gear or better yet if you are a tech diver teach you to do it yourself. it will make you a better and safer diver. It won't save you any money unless you are a family of tech divers however.

Hmmm...new sport at the HOG Dema party, have our instructors build a second stage from scratch and fastest time wins. I suspect that Lapenta will because he doesn't drink, Robert...sorry man but knowing you the party would be over and you passed out (thus a main reason the party would be over of course)before you finish it.

Please don't take this the wrong way...but by tune did you mean using the adjustment knob or were you trying something that involved the regulator off the hose? The venturi (dive/pre dive) will only reduce the likelihood of a free flow when the regulator is out of your mouth in the water. It is not the solution you are looking for.

You could just need a adjustment of the orifice (which if done incorrectly could lead to ruining the LP seat), or a new LP seat already. it is 'possible" but very unlikely that it's the spring in the second stage.

Given that the reg is a year old and what you have posted I am 99.6% certain your reg just needs adjusting via the internal orifice. Takes about 38 seconds by a good tech, 20 for a excellent tech and if it takes more than a minute...well...

Some excellent instructors have posted above me in this thread, any of them can service your gear or better yet if you are a tech diver teach you to do it yourself. it will make you a better and safer diver. It won't save you any money unless you are a family of tech divers however.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply. What I meant by tuning was to adjust the orifice, in an effort to solve a free flow problem I had lately. Although I haven't serviced any regulators in the past, I have a background in engineering, and I have read Regulator Savvy. So, I believe I understand how regulator works, at least theoretically:)

I was following tuning instructions given in one of the posts on this forum (can't quite find it at the moment, ) and I realized that I couldn't stop the freeflow unless the orifice was quite a bit in so that it started to slow down purging. That's when I started to think that something else might be involved. While adjusting the orifice, I always press down the purge button, and turn very small amount at a time.

I don't believe it is the spring in the barrel, but I do see some gunk built up on the outside of the barrel where it makes contact with the lever when the lever is pressed down. As I said, after cleaning up that area, one of the second stages no longer have the freeflow problem.

I want to take the class not to save money, but because I trust myself better:)

---------- Post added July 11th, 2013 at 04:35 PM ----------

How about build the reg blindfolded?:)

Also, there must be a way to offer the class remotely, like via video conferencing, in this day and age.

How about build the reg blindfolded?:)

Also, there must be a way to offer the class remotely, like via video conferencing, in this day and age.

I work pretty well blindfolded.

Seriously, the class is very hands-on and requires the students and instructor be in the same room.

If you got 6 or 8 students together, it would not be tough to find an instuctor willing to come out for you.

Information on the class can be found in the link in my signature line below. :)

Back
Top Bottom