Istanbul tourism during a 9hrs layover

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rafael Moreira

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey friends, I'm heading (for the first time) to a liveaboard in Hurghada in September, and I will have a 9-hour layover in Istanbul. I was thinking of taking a taxi and going to the Blue Mosque and maybe another place to kill time before heading back to the airport for my last flight.

Has anyone here done something similar? Is it a bad idea? I would like to hear (read) your thoughts...

This is the Itinerary I was thinking about (Created with ChatGPT help) :)
  1. Arrival at Airport:
    • Arrival Time: 05:05 pm
    • Clear Customs: 06:30 pm
  2. Commute to Sultanahmet Square (Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia):
    • Suggested Departure Time from Airport: 07:00 pm
    • Estimated Arrival Time at Sultanahmet: 08:00 pm
    • Spend around 2 hours exploring the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia.
  3. Dinner at a Local Restaurant:
    • Suggested Departure Time from Sultanahmet: 10:00 pm
    • Estimated Arrival Time at the Restaurant: 10:30 pm
    • Enjoy a traditional Turkish dinner in the Sultanahmet area.
  4. Commute back to the Airport:
    • Suggested Departure Time from the Restaurant: 11:30 pm
    • Estimated Arrival Time at the Airport: 12:30 am (allowing 1 hour for transit back to the airport and possible traffic delays).
Thank you!

I have done this trip 3 time. I found using the Turkish Airline club and one of their sleeping rooms a good option. It’s a long flight and by the time you get to Egypt the extra sleep might be helpful. As far as a day trip, you might contact Turkish Airlines (if you are traveling with them), I think they might offer a tour service.

Hey Hey, are you flying turkish air?
They actually have free tours that include bus xfer, sometimes a meal, and even a guaranteed return or you're on the next flight.
Sounds too good to be true? I think the promotion is to made to get people to see Istanbul and probably come back for more.

see the optional excursions, there are limited times/dates .. but they are pretty good.

We recently did a 3 day stopover (where they also pay for a hotel for you). In the end we opted to take a different hotel to be in the old city. Check out Nat's article for some ideas on what to see and what we did.

Your itinerary sounds pretty good. Honestly, much of the old city is close by
I'd recommend the Basilica Cisterns ..
Then walk through the Bazar .. and the spice market to the water front area and eat at a restaurant on the lower level of the walking bridge.

There can be lots of traffic so best to plan some extra time.
Cheers and have fun.

Hey Hey, are you flying turkish air?
They actually have free tours that include bus xfer, sometimes a meal, and even a guaranteed return or you're on the next flight.
Sounds too good to be true? I think the promotion is to made to get people to see Istanbul and probably come back for more.

see the optional excursions, there are limited times/dates .. but they are pretty good.

We recently did a 3 day stopover (where they also pay for a hotel for you). In the end we opted to take a different hotel to be in the old city. Check out Nat's article for some ideas on what to see and what we did.

Your itinerary sounds pretty good. Honestly, much of the old city is close by
I'd recommend the Basilica Cisterns ..
Then walk through the Bazar .. and the spice market to the water front area and eat at a restaurant on the lower level of the walking bridge.

There can be lots of traffic so best to plan some extra time.
Cheers and have fun.
Thank you very much for all that information I will definitely consider!!! yes I'm using Turkish Airlines.

I believe the Blue Mosque closes at 6:30PM, but do not know about the Haggia Sophia's hours. You would also need to find out the prayer hours if open during your projected times, because you would not be allowed inside during prayer hours if not a Muslim. It would be worth the visit if you can tour inside, and then grab some food before heading back to the airport. We toured both on a cruise stopover several years ago, and you would certainly have enough time if the open hours were compatible with you timing. Good luck.
Edit: Ditto on the recommendation for the Basilica Cisterns. That is a must do in my opinion if it is open.

BTW the e-visa was emailed to us like 2 minutes after we paid the fee on the website.
I think you can get it on landing too but it was easy to do on line and fast!

I do believe the Mosques are open 24 hours but as already mentioned, they are closed at prayer times
Cisterns were open until 10pm. Looking back I see you are arriving in the evening ... I think you only have the free option of the Bosphorous tour which could also be interesting See: T07 18:30-23:00Bosphorous tour
Anyway, it was a cool city, definitely worth escaping the airport for a while. Enjoy!!!

Hey friends, I'm heading (for the first time) to a liveaboard in Hurghada in September, and I will have a 9-hour layover in Istanbul. I was thinking of taking a taxi and going to the Blue Mosque and maybe another place to kill time before heading back to the airport for my last flight.

Has anyone here done something similar? Is it a bad idea? I would like to hear (read) your thoughts...
I think it's a great idea.
This is the Itinerary I was thinking about (Created with ChatGPT help) :)
  1. Arrival at Airport:
    • Arrival Time: 05:05 pm
    • Clear Customs: 06:30 pm
  2. Commute to Sultanahmet Square (Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia):
    • Suggested Departure Time from Airport: 07:00 pm
    • Estimated Arrival Time at Sultanahmet: 08:00 pm
I haven't been in Istanbul in decades, since I lived in Turkiye, but unless that's one of the few places in the world where traffic has gotten better over the years, then you should allow for more time to/from the airport.
    • Spend around 2 hours exploring the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia.
Consider the Küçük Ayasofya ("Little Hagia Sophia") mosque as an addition or alternative. Smaller, less crowded, comparable history, very close. Free.
  1. Dinner at a Local Restaurant:
One choice would be Yesil Ev ("Blue House"). Charming boutique hotel w. an excellent restaurant. $$.

• Suggested Departure Time from Sultanahmet: 10:00 pm
Yesil Ev is 5 minutes walk. :)

If you want lively areas with slightly less touristic dining options and more late night choices for local/casual food, consider Karakoy or Taksim Square. Too far to walk from Sultanahmet after a long day traveling, but a fairly quick cab ride. You'll get a wee bit of sight seeing and great views crossing the Galata bridge. Easy to get a cab from either neighborhood back to the airport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom