Suggestions for a 12-hour layover at Incheon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Titatom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We have a 12-hour layover at Incheon International airport. Our flight arrives around 5:30pm and our connection leaves at 7:30am the next day.
We'd like to spend a few hours exploring the area and have dinner before going back to a hotel (not the transit hotel).
The map shows some beaches just behind the airport. Are there shops and restaurants in the area?
Would it be better to stay at a hotel near the airport, or better to stay at a hotel by the beach or town?
Is it easy to find a cab to take us to the airport that early in the morning, if we opt to stay in town? It is a weekend (Saturday) for our connecting flight.

Do the cab drivers accept credit card payment?

Thank you for your help.

You can get in an out to Seoul in less than an hour each way if memory serves. There's an excellent train system which is user friendly and probably faster than cabs. I haven't been in a few years and don't remember if the cabs take credit card, but seriously the trains are all you need.

In that limited time, I would suggest seeing one of the palaces. They're amazing. If you want to pick up some souvenirs, hit the Insadong district. If you want to see and eat fish, I highly suggest the Noryangjin fish market.

I've never checked out the beaches near the airport, but I have eaten at a seafood restaurant near one. Unfortunately, it was years ago, and a friend took me, so I don't remember the details, except that it was delicious.

It's pretty hard to walk more than 100 yards in any direction in and around Seoul without finding an awesome hole in the wall restaurant with outdoor seating. Look for plastic seats and string lighting.

Korea is one of my favorite countries to visit. Hope you have fun.

I've only seen Incheon coming and going from Seoul, but my impression was that it was mostly industrial near the water -- can others comment on whether that's correct?

You can get in an out to Seoul in less than an hour each way if memory serves. There's an excellent train system which is user friendly and probably faster than cabs. I haven't been in a few years and don't remember if the cabs take credit card, but seriously the trains are all you need.

In that limited time, I would suggest seeing one of the palaces. They're amazing. If you want to pick up some souvenirs, hit the Insadong district. If you want to see and eat fish, I highly suggest the Noryangjin fish market.

I've never checked out the beaches near the airport, but I have eaten at a seafood restaurant near one. Unfortunately, it was years ago, and a friend took me, so I don't remember the details, except that it was delicious.

It's pretty hard to walk more than 100 yards in any direction in and around Seoul without finding an awesome hole in the wall restaurant with outdoor seating. Look for plastic seats and string lighting.

Korea is one of my favorite countries to visit. Hope you have fun.
Thank youi for the info. Now I wish I am spending a little more time there, lol.

I've only seen Incheon coming and going from Seoul, but my impression was that it was mostly industrial near the water -- can others comment on whether that's correct?
Thank you.
Hope some others chime in on this thread.

I think it would be more fun to take the Airport Express into the center of Seoul and spend time in the city rather than staying out near Incheon.

I would take the train into town and enjoy a nice dinner as getting in at 5:30pm means getting on a train around 6:30, I would also stay at a hotel by the airport to reduce the traffic risk when you are rushing to leave.

I think it would be more fun to take the Airport Express into the center of Seoul and spend time in the city rather than staying out near Incheon.
Thank you. Will take your suggestion into consideration. I prefer staying closer to the airport, but will consider going into Seoul. Guess I have to find out how late the train runs and how late the shops and restaurants stay open.

I would take the train into town and enjoy a nice dinner as getting in at 5:30pm means getting on a train around 6:30, I would also stay at a hotel by the airport to reduce the traffic risk when you are rushing to leave.
Thank you. I thought the same thing - that it will be around 6:30 pm by the time we leave the airport or check-in at a hotel. Our flght leaves at 7:30am on a Saturday though. So, hopefully, no traffic to the airport.

I currently reside in Incheon.
  1. It's possible to travel by the A'REX subway from ICN to Seoul Station for your commute. After arriving at Seoul Station, you can explore various appealing destinations for sightseeing, dining, and relaxation.
  2. The first A'REX train departs from Seoul Station to ICN at 05:20. This might not provide enough time for your connecting flight, and I highly recommend either staying at a hotel near ICN or within the airport itself. Fortunately, the A'REX service operates until midnight (24:00) at Seoul Station, offering ample time to enjoy the attractions of Seoul.
  3. Incheon is a decent city in its own right, though it might be a bit challenging for foreigners to arrange a one-night excursion. About a third of the city is dedicated to factories, yes. If you're interested in exploring Incheon rather than Seoul, you could instruct a taxi driver to take you to the "Sheraton Grand Incheon Hotel." This area is close to ICN, relatively easy for foreigners to navigate, and boasts excellent dining options and a splendid city park. You might consider staying at the Holiday Inn near the park and arranging a taxi reservation for returning to ICN.
  4. ICN has been very busy recently. Consequently, I recommend arriving at the airport 2.5 hours before your departure to account for potential delays.

Back
Top Bottom