It continues on in the Pittsburgh Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boater Dan

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Last night, a 20' boat with 8 people on board went over one of the low head dams, just above Pittsburgh on the Allegheny River. Reports indicate the boat remained right side up but was caught in the hydraulic. It was reported that the boat was pushed back to the face of the dam and the water coming over the dam caused the boat to flip over. All 8 personnel went into the river. 7 were pulled last night by rescuers and one died over night. One person is still missing and search crews are coming the river this morning. Reports did not indicate if anyone was in PFDs.

I do not think that any dive team has been dispatched as of yet. The river flows are somewhat elevated from recent rains and this incident occurred right at the dam face.

Dan

Low Head Dams give me chills up my spine. A very nasty invention.

Maybe they should be called Darwin Dams.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
Low Head Dams give me chills up my spine. A very nasty invention.

Maybe they should be called Darwin Dams.

Gary D.

All of the Water Rescue training I have had always refer to them as killing machines. I can point to 6 extremely lucky people!

I grew up around these things and there is a simple way defeat their deadly grip in the way they are constructed. Anyone who builds a new one the old fashoned way should be strung up and shot.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom