It couldn't even cut the cheese

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveFass

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Got my first dive knife - a UK Fussilier blunt tip - and I was surprised how dull the blade is. I guess I'm comparing it to knives I'm familiar with - kitchen carving knives. It doesn't look defective in any way.

I have a blade sharpener - the kind with the V groove - but the blade of the Fussiler is too fat to fit in the groove. I guess I could get something to sharpen it, but hey, the thing is brand new.

What do you think I should do?

Whetstone and some instruction. With a little practice you should be shaving with it. Is that a steel or titanium blade? I know my titanium UK is tough to sharpen but it holds an edge well.

Sea ya!

I wonder if they dull them purposely so someone doesn't run their finger down the blade, cut themselves and sue the store.

The blade is steel.

I was also wondering if it is dull on purpose. That's really my question. Did UK decide it is best this way - just sharp enough without it being dangerous? Or did I get a knife that UK forgot to sharpen before they shipped it out?

Personally I'd feel more confident diving with knife that can do what it was born to do. I think I'll take the Sasquatch's advice and take a stone to it.

I have a UK Titanium blunt tip and it is extremely sharp. Maybe like Steve said they forgot to sharpen it before shipping.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom