Italy - two divers dead on Haven wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to mention the fairly frequent reports of CO issues/fatalities coming out of Italy over the last couple years. Though the CCR aspect and reference to early in the dive makes me wonder if O2 toxicity isn't more likely.

Not to mention the fairly frequent reports of CO issues/fatalities coming out of Italy over the last couple years. Though the CCR aspect and reference to early in the dive makes me wonder if O2 toxicity isn't more likely.

Ok, it comes to speculations, but it was an accident with 4 people. 2 died, 2 survived. Even if all divers where on ccr, 4 times O2 toxity? Looks strange to me. Normally you have analysed your diluent (and other gases) that is low enough in PO2 to flush when high PO2. (i had last year a wrong fill, ordered 15/50, but got 50% oxygen, so analysing is absolutely needed). When using good cells, ccrs in good condition and then 4 times oxtox? (there was somewhere an article that wrote about an oc diver too, so I don't know if all divers where on ccr) This where experienced divers. Still is a strange accident and hopely we hear what happened.

Hard to believe, but the info - unverified -came from a diver that was in the area: supposedly one diver forgot to open is O2 bottle, the other one did not switch is machine on. Again hard to believe. RIP.

Too much speculation here....
Will try to get some more info, but need to say I do not believe it was a CCR dive ..

I speak fluently Italian so should be no problems to read what is writen about.

Sent from my PAP4500DUO using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added May 31st, 2015 at 02:36 PM ----------

Based on info I got it was not a CCR dive. Seem most think the problem was CO, but nothing is sure jet. Lot of unknown.

What is known is they made no bottom time jet but turned the dive and went back because they felt bad...

---------- Post added May 31st, 2015 at 02:59 PM ----------

And yes just found the article which say it was a ccr dive... seem strange to me as even dutch newes do not mention the rebreathers.... Haven – Subacquei morti prima di iniziare l’immersione – VIDEO | Liguria Oggi

Strange....

Last edited:
The dutch divers are ccr divers, own an inspiration. So it is then quite normal to dive that unit on a wreck that lies at 80m. Further till now no information yet. In Dutch forums nothing known too. There are dutch articles that write that they didn't dive and where not in the water when they went ill.

Strange to see that nothing came on the dutch forums. Maybe, if what I heard through the grapevins - see my post above - nobody is eager to talk about it.

Sorry or posting the link without further info, i was in the middle of a move from Italy to Germany and at the time it was the only article i got an alert for.
The dive is normally limited to 60-65 meters if i remeber right which is the depth were there is an opening in the ship's hull, i seem to remeber to the engine room.

Another article i found says 2 CCR and an open circuit. Arenzano, morti 2 sub: si stavano immergendo per il relitto della Haven - Corriere.it Citing a witness "on the boat" (which make me think the same boat) says the two didn't get under water and fainted getting back on the boat while the third diver didn't make it down to 5 and came back up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom