It's a bit early, but....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will in the area October 22 and was hoping to be able to dive BHB. If I am reading the chart correctly, the high tide is at 6:00 pm that day. I will be flying into Fort Lauderdale and arriving at 5:05 pm. Assuming I can get to BHB and be ready to dive by 6:15, would that still be a good time to dive this site? Any help you can provide would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

I think most like to get in the water about an hour before high tide. I don't know how bad it really gets the next few hours after high tide which is when you would be there. I imagine it depends on a few things, but I'm sure others can chime in on what's it's like to dive after high tide.

You would be super lucky to get there by 6:15 with no traffic whatsoever. However, assuming arrive on time, quickly get your luggage, have someone waiting for you outside with a tank ready to go, you sill have a 50 mile drive during a Thursday rush hour on 95.

I will in the area October 22 and was hoping to be able to dive BHB. If I am reading the chart correctly, the high tide is at 6:00 pm that day. I will be flying into Fort Lauderdale and arriving at 5:05 pm. Assuming I can get to BHB and be ready to dive by 6:15, would that still be a good time to dive this site? Any help you can provide would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!
:hijack:

I think most like to get in the water about an hour before high tide. I don't know how bad it really gets the next few hours after high tide which is when you would be there. I imagine it depends on a few things, but I'm sure others can chime in on what's it's like to dive after high tide.

You would be super lucky to get there by 6:15 with no traffic whatsoever. However, assuming arrive on time, quickly get your luggage, have someone waiting for you outside with a tank ready to go, you sill have a 50 mile drive during a Thursday rush hour on 95.

If you could switch to fly into PBI, that cuts down about 30 miles of rush hour traffic. Then head east, pick up a tank/gear(find a place that doesn't close at 6!), and go up federal/US1. It'll probably be the same amount of time, but more scenic. You can also go a little west and go up military trail. Plus sunset is about 6:50, so it'll be a night dive. Carpool lane is a good lane to get caught up in traffic. I always use middle lanes.

Sorry.....did not mean to take over your post. :D

Just trying to figure out if diving after high tide is worth it or not. I would love the opportunity to dive this site on my trip if possible.

The general opinion is that it is not worth it. From my experiences in diving the bridge (about 5 times), the current starts rippin about an hour after high tide, which also makes the vis pretty worthless as well.

You can forget about night diving the Blue Heron Bridge.
A special permit is required and that's usually reserved for dive shop events.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom