Jackass crew to give up? (Steve Irwin/shark incident)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uspap:
Scubabum2

I do understand where you're comming from but there are those who say Irwin was asking for it and I haven't seen too many people paint stingrays as evil. I personally do not think he was asking for it. I think he had an intense love for the wild and could somehow connect on a level your average person could not understand. The Jackass crew will die or be crippled one day if they keep it up. You can only do that stuff so long before the law of averages gets you. I think people will realize that jumping on a sharks diner plate is stupid and they will see it for what it is. Those who can't see that are not worth the breath to convince otherwise.

I agree, I have seen most if not all of the shows the Jackass crew has done, and while the stunts they pull are completely retarted they endanger only themselves. I have never once seen, nor heard of any of them hurt, in any way, any animal. If they want to put their lives at risk without causing harm to anyone else, I couldn't care less. It's their lives.

Manny Puig, another well-known wildlife conservationlist, is very good friends with the Jackass crew. I think people do not realize that these guys are professionals at what they do. They take calculated risks, not blind risks. They assess their situation before they perform whatever stunt they are attempting or failing.

Diane Fossey--worked with mountain gorillas. Killed by poachers (she antagonized)

Maurice and Katia Kraft--produced miles of film and millions of images of erupting volcanoes. Killed in a pyroclastic flow.

Gene Shoemaker--comet discoverer and explorer of dozens of meteorite impact craters. Killed in an auto accident in outback Australia.

Richard Leakey--discoverer of some of man's most ancient remains. Killed near his paleontological site by bandits.

Christa MacAlliffe--first Teacher in Space. Killed on Challenger

The list goes on and on. Obviously, they all have various things in common, but there are other aspects that are not so obvious. For one thing, many would say they took outlandish and unnecessary risks while pursuing their fields of study. That may be true, but their discoveries have re-written the textbooks and expanded the way in which we all think about our world. Indeed, these and people like them have had a profound effect by using their passion for knowledge and SHARING it with all of us. To many of us who love exploration and education, they are heroes that are often overlooked and sometimes criticized for their willingness to push back the frontiers of understanding.
Steve Irwin joins these ranks. In my mind, his work goes so far above the realm of "stunt" that it's improper to even compare it to the actions of those who foolishly risk themselves for notoriety. We owe him and multitudes of others like him who work in more obscure fields more than we can ever repay. God bless him and his family, and God bless the explorers who unselfishly give of themselves.

Very cool post. Thanks.

Guba:
Diane Fossey--worked with mountain gorillas. Killed by poachers (she antagonized)

Maurice and Katia Kraft--produced miles of film and millions of images of erupting volcanoes. Killed in a pyroclastic flow.

Gene Shoemaker--comet discoverer and explorer of dozens of meteorite impact craters. Killed in an auto accident in outback Australia.

Richard Leakey--discoverer of some of man's most ancient remains. Killed near his paleontological site by bandits.

Christa MacAlliffe--first Teacher in Space. Killed on Challenger

The list goes on and on. Obviously, they all have various things in common, but there are other aspects that are not so obvious. For one thing, many would say they took outlandish and unnecessary risks while pursuing their fields of study. That may be true, but their discoveries have re-written the textbooks and expanded the way in which we all think about our world. Indeed, these and people like them have had a profound effect by using their passion for knowledge and SHARING it with all of us. To many of us who love exploration and education, they are heroes that are often overlooked and sometimes criticized for their willingness to push back the frontiers of understanding.
Steve Irwin joins these ranks. In my mind, his work goes so far above the realm of "stunt" that it's improper to even compare it to the actions of those who foolishly risk themselves for notoriety. We owe him and multitudes of others like him who work in more obscure fields more than we can ever repay. God bless him and his family, and God bless the explorers who unselfishly give of themselves.

"Knoxville, who has a young daughter, said he will keep performing madcap stunts and is working on a third Jackass film."

If I were King -SILENCE! bring me beer!!!- If I were King, such people would not reproduce.

Perhaps it's better that i am not king, dunno :wink:

The Jackass members were shocked by Irwin's death last week when a stingray barb pierced his chest while the 44-year-old was snorkelling on the Great Barrier Reef, admitting the Crocodile Hunter was on a "whole other level" to them.

Sorry I didn't know how to paste the original post in my post. The above is the quote from the crew of jackass. I've read several posts that keep saying you can't even compare the two. That is what Knoxville is saying also. Now you could make a case for a lot of stupid people copying their stunts with the idea that there was no calculation behind them. I don't think too many would dash into the bushes and pull out a poisonous snake after watching animal planet.

I agree Steve Irwin has done more to enhance our lives than Johnny Knoxville.

Well perhaps the Jackass crew should strip naked, put female cow hormones on thier butt's and jump in a corral with an uncut bull...............

now that would make for some interesting footage.........

doh

Steve Irwin - Great Man, did some stupid things, did some great things, sad that his accident took his life. His active part in conservation will be missed I bet the most.

Points that cause us to pause and say, "hmmmmmmmm.....?

All bulls are uncut. If they're "cut", we call them "steers". Okay, so I'm having a boring day and my mind is tending to wander. Thanks for the opportunity for diversion. Sigh. Back to work!

uspap:
article:
The Jackass members were shocked by Irwin's death last week when a stingray barb pierced his chest while the 44-year-old was snorkelling on the Great Barrier Reef, admitting the Crocodile Hunter was on a "whole other level" to them.

Sorry I didn't know how to paste the original post in my post. The above is the quote from the crew of jackass. I've read several posts that keep saying you can't even compare the two. That is what Knoxville is saying also. Now you could make a case for a lot of stupid people copying their stunts with the idea that there was no calculation behind them. I don't think too many would dash into the bushes and pull out a poisonous snake after watching animal planet.

I agree Steve Irwin has done more to enhance our lives than Johnny Knoxville.

By the very act of making a public statement saying that there is no comparison between himself and Steve Irwin, he drew a comparison between himself and Steve Irwin. I still read his words as selfish and self-serving.

If he really wanted to draw no comparison, he would have mentioned nothing about himself or Jackass in the statement.

All I was trying to say is that whether a stingray kills a reputable person like Steve Irwin or one of the Jackass idiots, my fear is that the ignorant masses will overreact, whether its harming the creatures or just being overly fearful of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom