Jacket BC or Wing BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my case, with a dui 350 drysuit,

Hey Dan,

This is a little off topic but what are the typical temps of the water where you dive to use a drysuit? At first glance I see "Florida" and think how nice and warm. But not always warm enough?

Water temperatures right now where Dan is are running in the high 60s, dropping a bit at depth. Not only am I bringing my dry suit, but I'm bringing my medium-weight undergarment!

That depends on the diver. I use a drysuit in 50s or colder. Some people use drysuits in wtaers in the 70s. Its a personal choice really

Water temperatures right now where Dan is are running in the high 60s, dropping a bit at depth. Not only am I bringing my dry suit, but I'm bringing my medium-weight undergarment!

WOW! I thought it would have been warmer but it is February.....everywhere!

A backplate and wing needs to be custom fitted to the individual, and you actually need to know how the hoses, etc, are supposed to be routed. With a typical vest, you try on a small, medium or large, and if one of these does not fit too badly, that is the one you will buy--it is not typically a perfect fit, but for most divers in the mass market, it is all they know, and without experiencing a custom fit, it is good enough for them.
Also, the vest style will have all the routing and setup handled with very standardized straps and there is no real knowledge required to gear up a new diver in one-- in other words, a dive shop can hire the kid from Publix to sell gear in the shop, after a 10 minute tour of the shop's gear, the kid knows what he needs to, in order to sell one of the vest BC's to most new dive shop customers.
This would NOT be true with a BP/wing--and if it did occur, the liklihood is that either the consumer would need to discover proper configuration , custom fitting and set up on the Internet, or they would end up quite upset and poorly configured.

However... Once the Bp/wing is properly custom fitted and hoses routed correctly, and the diver is correctly configured with this, the actual "diving" part is incredibly easy and effortless. Again, if the instructor was to teach new non-diving students, it would be necessary for him to have used bp/wing himself, and be familiar with the proper configurations, and the concepts of air share via long hose and necklace reg for the donating diver--this being the intended scenario for the bp/wing---cobble a short hose primary and traditional octopus to the bp/wing, you don't have optimal routing and strapping for this, and the system does not work as well....

If a shop does not like Bp/wings, and there instructors have never used them, even if they bought a bunch of Halcyon gear to sell, they would have a self fulfilling prophecy going on which would sabotage any potential for the bp/wing concept in the shop...

Am I special or something because I don't see any difference in hose routing for a bp/w or a vest/jacket BC? What "special" routing is necessary on a bp/w? Assuming you're not discussing "long hose" versus standard hose configurations, there is no difference between the vest BCs I have and my bp/w. Inflator hose comes over the left shoulder, regs under the right arm. No big issue with special routing required.

As for a bp/w needing to be "custom fit to each diver" that should be said about every BC. Even a vest needs adjustment to fit as well as it can. Adjusting the harness on a bp is no different than adjusting the straps and cumberbund on a vest. It can take a couple extra minutes, but the concept is the same. All BCs need to be adjusted to fit properly for best performance, period. A properly fitted bp/w, however, will provide a better fit (in my opinion) for most people than a vest will after the appropriate adjustments are made.

It would also be trivially easy to train any salesperson to do either one properly, if shops had the inclination to do so.

Let's face it, shops don't sell more bp/w setups because manufacturers don't make as many and they don't have as high a markup. This is because most divers simply don't care. A vest BC works well enough for 95%?? of the diving that most divers do, so why cater heavily to a niche market? It's not cost effective for the large manufacturers to do so.

fjp -- +1

You are absolutely correct that there is NOTHING about a BP/W which means ones needs a long hose, bungeed backup or whatever. IT IS JUST A BACK INFLATE BOUYANCY COMPENSATOR PEOPLE! Albeit, one that has a truly rigid "tank platform" which tends to alleviate a lot of the issues I see with ill-fitted/fitting Jacket or BI "integrated" BCs. And, BTW, depending on the model, it may well be easier to adjust the Halcyon Cinch than almost any "normal" BC -- So easy even a Cave Man can do it!

Re weightbelts or "Where do you put your weight?" with a BP/W:

Answer -- it depends:

a. Do you need extra weight? - If not, no problem.

b. Weight belt -- just put it on.

c. Integrate on BP -- either on cambands (singles), plate groove (doubles), or waist band pockets -- in other words, pretty much just like any other BC.

d. NONE OF THE ABOVE -- Me, I hate weightbelts (I ain't got no waist) so I use a DUI weight and balance which means the 14 +/- extra weight I need for cold, salt water is NOT on my BC. In fact, I highly suggest to students NOT to get integrated weights on their BCs since it makes the whole package so heavy -- better for most people to split the load between weight belt/harness and BC -- especially someplace like Puget Sound where people often wear up to 30 pounds (or more!) due to exposure protection.

fjp -- +1

Re weightbelts or "Where do you put your weight?" with a BP/W:

Answer -- it depends:

a. Do you need extra weight? - If not, no problem.

b. Weight belt -- just put it on.

c. Integrate on BP -- either on cambands (singles), plate groove (doubles), or waist band pockets -- in other words, pretty much just like any other BC.

d. NONE OF THE ABOVE -- Me, I hate weightbelts (I ain't got no waist) so I use a DUI weight and balance which means the 14 +/- extra weight I need for cold, salt water is NOT on my BC. In fact, I highly suggest to students NOT to get integrated weights on their BCs since it makes the whole package so heavy -- better for most people to split the load between weight belt/harness and BC -- especially someplace like Puget Sound where people often wear up to 30 pounds (or more!) due to exposure protection.

1. Is there an option for Integrated AND ditchable weights for BP/W?

2. If you using the DUI W&T system, is there any conflict with the BP/W crotch strap (or any other BP/W strap)?

For cold water I do not recommend having 100% of your ballast on your rig.

A SS plate and harness provides about 6 lbs of *INTEGRATED* weight. There are a variety of ways of adding more ballast to a back plate.

Here's one https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=7

Keep in mind that one of the distinct advantages of a BP&W is the lack of inherent buoyancy. Many Jackets are 3-5 lbs buoyant. When you include the ~6 lbs of ballast the plate and harness provides and loose the ~4 lbs of inherent buoyancy of a Jacket the divers weight belt is often 10 or more lbs *less* than in a jacket.

Tobin

2. If you using the DUI W&T system, is there any conflict with the BP/W crotch strap (or any other BP/W strap)?

#1. yes, you can have integrated,ditchable weight just like a "regular" BC, though some say you're starting to cancel out the point of the bp/w by using it

#2 - sorry, not familiar with it - can't help.

#3 (not directed at anyone in particular) Is there not enough bp/w discussions that we need to resurrect 7 1/2 year old ones?

Yes. Integrated weights come in the form of weight pockets that attach to the waist belt. Like these:
surelock.jpg

Most divers that have a crotch strap wear the weight belt under the BC's belt system. This helps insure that should the belt buckle fail or is inadvertently opened, is stays on you. Ditching it is still possible but requires a tad more effort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom