Jacket BCs versus BP, etc. Help me decide! Thanks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I realy think it comes down to preference I have both a zeagle back inflate BC and a deep outdoors bp/w and I like them both except for the fact that my zeagle didnt have any pockets. I think that the stiletto would suffice for almost every type receational diving.

Now that's a thread title guaranteed to bring out the bp/w fanboys and girls.

Stay alert!

I have had both and they both work. I like the BP/W better because:

1. It is a low-drag, minimalist design.
2. It comes without a lot of glitzy features - padding, releases, etc. - that I don't want or need.
3. I can configure it - weights, pockets, buckles, tools - the way I want to.
4. I can customize it with desired components - wing, tank bands - from different sources.
5. One size fits me whether I weigh 170 lbs or 250 lbs.
6. A SS plate on your back is ideally located and reduces 6 lbs of lead.

To me it's down to experience levels. I know a lot of new divers find the "blimp and basket" configuration easier to handle and I guess since we hear that a lot it's worth mentioning.

On the other hand, and with all due respect, I personally believe that choosing a BP/W because one can't get their buoyancy control sorted with a jacket is a case of throwing gear at a skills problem.

Lynne and I have had this discussion before and she'll probably say what she did the last time i mentioned that, which is "whatever works works".

That's a valid point, but what I don't like about these discussions is that people who can't get their jackets under control are usually the ones saying jackets are no good.

In all cases, however, what we're really seeing is the expression of an issue with buoyancy control that goes beyond gear. Tellingly, highly experienced divers with excellent control over their buoyancy hardly ever show up on these threads saying jackets don't work.

So yeah. BP/wings work... but so do jackets and with all things equal, the better ones buoyancy control is, the less the differences matter.

R..

Diver0001,

With respect, perhaps you'd like to go back and read my post again. I don't mention anything about buoyancy.

Ibussell :

Burna :
Certainly, feeling a difference between a BP/W and a jacket-style BCD depends on the diver, the amount of lead he (or she) needs, the amount of lead he (or she) uses, and where he (or she) puts that lead.
But given the weight of a SS BP (about 5 pounds) there are ways to obtain the same trim by putting your weights in different locations, eg in the pockets of your BCD. And an Alu BP, much more "travel-friendly", is too light for having any significant influence on weight distribution.
Regarding trim, I (and all my fellows with similar experience) don't feel much difference between my BP/Ws and my jacket-style BCDs for recreational depths in warm water, where I use 2 to 4 pounds of lead with a 3 mm full wetsuit, an Al80 tank and a jacket-style BCD.
The only thing I miss (sometimes) when diving my jacket-style BCDs is the crotch-strap. :)

I tried playing around with as many weight placement combinations as I could come up with and was never happy with it.

As I said, I personally noticed a marked difference to trim and comfort but my buddy with the same number of dives noticed little. We are all different.

The OP was asking for suggestions, and having used both a stiletto and a BP/W, my suggestion is to go for a BP/W. Feel free to have a different opinion.

I was all set to order a Stiletto, then someone mentioned back plate systems. A third possibility would be the Zeagle Zeus, which looks great. My only possible issue with that model would be the front bladder.

I like to travel light and (as of now) am only interested in tropical diving.

One of the advantages of BP/Wing is the stainless steel plate which allows 6 lbs or so off your weight belt.

However for tropical diving the SS plate is arguably not appropriate, so you lose one of the main advantages of the BP. You'd be using an aluminum plate or plastic plate and the only advantage is the stiffness of the plate, which also carries disadvantage when you're out of water.

For tropical diving IMO the clear winner is the back buoyancy BC like the Stilleto.

The Stilleto will give you a soft travel package, have all the pockets built in and take care of your weights.

I may be wrong but I don't think the Zeus has any front bladder. All Zeagle BCs are back buoyancy. I'm skeptical about the front zipper though. Zippers can be hard to use under water or with gloves.

Adam

I was all set to order a Stiletto, then someone mentioned back plate systems. A third possibility would be the Zeagle Zeus, which looks great. My only possible issue with that model would be the front bladder.

I like to travel light and (as of now) am only interested in tropical diving.

I can't tell you what would be best for you but I can tell you what the vast majority of divers use in tropical conditions and that is by far either a jacket style BC or a back inflate BC. I was certified in 1991 I think it was and have logged over 500 tropical type dives and I can count on one hand how many times I've seen a BP/Wing worn by someone on the boats I've been on or while shore diving numerous times in Bonaire.

You'll find that there seems to be a lot of people on SB pushing the BP/Wing system but in real life when you visit the tropics you'll actually see very few. Or at least that's been my experience.

You'll find that there seems to be a lot of people on SB pushing the BP/Wing system but in real life when you visit the tropics you'll actually see very few. Or at least that's been my experience.
This hints at the crux of the disagreement, I think. The BP/W divers that you do encounter in the tropics probably also dive in cold water. In warm water, where you don't have a lot of wetsuit compression to offset, the difference between these two types of BCs underwater is, in my experience, barely discernible.

I think a BC is just a personal choice.

I would rent some and try them out so you can have a personal feel for the bc.

They all work. Diving experience will give you the best bouyancy control.

Your showing less than 25 dives so a back plate system seems a bit much. If you notice the back plate people have lots of dives.

Technically a back plate is better. That is why technical divers use them. You can build your diving system from the ground up and customize to your requirements

I have a Zeagle Ranger and love it. I dive in cold waters of Monterey. I like the integrated weight system instead of a weight belt. I prefer the back inflate instead of jacket because it keeps me more vertical and does not squeeze me. They say the jacket style floats more vertical on the surface which is true but once you get used to the back inflate you can stay up quite nicely. I don't spend much time on the surface so the horizontal diving position of back inflate is better for me.

I prefer the back inflate instead of jacket because it keeps me more vertical and does not squeeze me.
Is this what you meant to say? The back inflate keeps you more vertical?

Back
Top Bottom