Jackets or wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IanH once bubbled...
Cave Diver - how much weight do you carry ? What tanks etc

Also (in your experience) is the Transpac rock steady with a single tank ? and can you use the dual rec wings for a single tank ?

I use my TPII and the dual rec wings setup for all of my diving. I blocked off the secondary inflator as I don't feel the need for the redundant bladder. So I am essentialy diving just a rec wing set up.

Regarding tank configs. I have dove this setup with a wide variety of tanks. The ones that I can recall are as follows. Single tanks: AL80, AL100, LP112, LP 120. Double tanks: AL80, LP98 and LP112.

I currently dive dual LP112's almost exclusively. I find that the rec wings have no problem supporting them. I have also dove dual AL80's with an AL40 stage and again had no problems supporting them.

Rock steady with a single tank? No. I have never dove any configuration that had no movement to it whatsoever. When I have my harness properly adjusted however, the movement is very minimal. I have also found that diving without a wetsuit enhances the movement. For this reason, I now dive with at least a 3 mil shorty for all of my dives, regardles of the temp.

Regarding weight, well that is a relative issue. I am 6' roughly 170 lbs. I am pretty lean with very little fat.

In freshwater, with a 3mil suit and an AL80 @ 500psi I can maintain neutral bouyancy at 15' with no weight. In fact, with a long slow exhalation I can achieve negative bouyancy with no weight.

When diving salt water recreationally with the same set up (3 mil and AL80) I dive with about 4lbs of weight. I could probably dive with 0-2 lbs, but prefer to keep a little extra ditchable weight on me.

Diving salt water with AL100 and a 3 mil, I can maintain neutral @ 15' with 500 psi remaining using about 4-6 lbs. Again, I could use slightly less, but prefer a little extra for trim positioning, etc.

Hope this helps.

BTW, I have the integrated weight pockets on my TPII, but generally use them more for storing stuff (dive tables, gloves, etc.) than I do for holding weights.

Well let's see, I highly recommend the backplate/wing scenario. Personally I have a halcyon SS w/ 27lb wing. The bp/harness really becomes invisible underwater -- the regular bcd's never worked for me -- I knew I needed to get something different even before I ever heard of bp's.

I loved the setup so much I took it with me to Bora Bora this past October. Had a great time diving! I'm about 175lbs, so with a 3mil shorty and 12L steel tank I could descend without any ditchable weight whatsoever.

As far as travel is concerned, I never had a problem with the SS backplate. One thing to watch out for is that there are some strict weight restrictions on the luggage. We bought a roller duffel from a discount store and put all of our fins, snorkels, masks, my backplate in it. That and another bag with our clothes were checked in. I took my regs and some other clothes in two carryons my fiance and I took on board. We didn't come close to the weight limit since it's 44lbs. per person. I think the roller duffel came out to about 40 lbs., but that was our heaviest bag.

About the only time I didn't like the SS bp was schlepping it from our bungalow to the main entrance to get picked up by the dive shop. We were staying at Club Med and had a great bungalow partially on the water, but it was literally like a half mile from the main gate where they would pick you up. After the first day of diving, I left my gear in our friend's bungalow which was much closer.

Oh and by the way, yes I was the only one in a bp/wing setup. But I was happy. Do what works for you.

IanH once bubbled...

Weaknesses
Some people find them uncomfortable in thin wetsuits (webbing chaffs)
Some people don't like the crutch strap (although some people don't use them)
They are a bit more difficult to set up but probably give a better dive attitude
Some people find they are tipped forwards at the surface (although if set up right this may be avoidable)
They don't have pockets like a jacket
The back-plate makes them heavier to transport
Ian

I've never had a problem with the webbing being uncomfortable in a thin wetsuit. Very comfortable actually.

Most people keep the crotch strap too tight, that's why they don't like it. I've never noticed it even being there underwater.

I don't find them any more difficult to setup than any other type of BC. With a BP, you adjust it once and you're done. Other BCs need to be re-adjusted during each use.

I've never felt like I was tipped forward using the BP/Wing.

You don't need pockets on the BC. Pockets on the wetsuit thighs are fine.

Actually, my BP setup is much lighter than my old ScubaPro X-Tech/S-Tech BC. It also packs much, much smaller.

Thank you everyone that has been a great help

Nicodaemos - I'm off to Bora Bora in May any suggestions ? The weight thing was what I was worried about. MY wife has more shoes than Imelda Marcos and more clothes than a well stocked clothes shop.

Ian

Ian, don't worry about taking clothes, there's no place to wear them.

Seriously, almost all activities on BB revolve around water so you spend the days in swimsuits. At dinner I wore a shirt and dress shorts, but many guests would come in t-shirt/shorts. I think my fiance took a couple of sun dresses and some dress shorts. There was no reason to dress up since dinner was a large buffet (no elegant fine dining) and there was no nightlife. BB basically has daytime water activities, but little to nothing for the evening.

I think I took 3 shirts and 3 dress shorts (no pants whatsoever) and realized I'd overpacked for our 6 days that we were there.

Save the luggage room for dive gear.

By the way, where are you staying?

Sounds like we are in a similar position in terms of gear. As for Halcyon I have been unable to find a way of getting a halcyon wing in the UK (which has slightly put me off the idea), you may want to ask on the dis-uk yahoo e-group. For some reason there seems to be a few places that sell halcyon equipment, but not wings.

I asked about the custome divers TBK wing and haven't had much of a response, except that they seem to be a UK only thing

Let us know how you get on withregard to prices for the transpac and or wing, best I have found for the transpac with travel wing is around £270, let me know if you want the details.

Conor

Hi

I found that Dorset divers are very good if they have the stock. You can get to them from the DIS-UK.org site.

I bought my 55lbs Explorer MC kit and also a Pioneer 36lb wing and cam straps from Extreme Exposure in the states. Delivery less than 3 days by UPS. You'll get stung with VAT and charges but I thought it was worth it for the service and speed.

Also, the quality of the Halcyon gear puts the rest to shame really. The harness is perfect, the BP has a fantastic finish with the right type Drings and in the water its great.

Best diving equipment I've ever bought and the little extra i paid has all been forgotten.

Kindest Regards

Nicodaemos

I couldn't agree more regarding clothes but if I'm to be allowed to take my diving gear I'd better not "she who must be obeyed". We are staying at Le Meridien.

Connor

I'm just down the road from you at Saffron Walden. Do you know what "Mike's Dive Stroes" in Cambridge are like ?

I have a friend coming to visit from the States in Feb so I'm toying with the idez of him bringing me a aliuminum BP and 27lb wing over - to save on tax and VAT.

Although I'll never be a DIR diver I do like some of their ideas like avoiding points of failure and thinking that simlisity is best. For those rreason I would like to get a straight BP & Wing rather than the Transpac. But we will see. I might yet take you up on your offer.

Wetlettuce

You've confirmed my suspisions.

Thanks everyone

I haven't been out to Mikes (they are just outside Cambridge and I don't have any transport at the moment), but I have talked to them on the phone. As you probably know they are part of the same group as 'Mikes Watersports Warehouse' and so seem to get quite competitive prices, although my impression is there is still a little bit of bargaining room.

Have you compared prices for the bp/harness from Dorset divers to the prices in the states ? If so what was the result, if not let me know and I'll send you the dorset divers Halcyon price list which doesn't seem to be accessible from their site. You may be able to get the bp etc here and just get the wing from the states.

I have the same feelings about the DIR approach, it makes a lot of sense to me and I am hoping to get out with a local club soon to try a BP/wing and make up my own mind. Shame there is no DIR centre in East Anglia (or have I missed it ?).

Happy shopping

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom