Jack's Diving Locker Kama'aina Rate discussion - split from Kama'aina Rates thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MeiLing

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Discussion split from this thread

Good scoop.

I was disappointed to find Jack's does not offer any local discount after moving to Oahu. Diving with them for 12 years. I get the feeling there is a deal for some, but was given a flat "no" when I asked. Funny, because the same local faces often show up when the boat does not have many signed on for the day.

I'll definitely be calling Big Island Divers next trip over to Kona. My local shop on Oahu does a similar club thing. Can't be beat.

Could be that those are shop insiders. Not employees but employee spouses or SO's or customers who more than frequent the shop, but those that lend a willing hand when needed. For that they may get thrown such bone as getting the boat dive for the shop cost so that the seats that the shop pre-bought don't wind up costing the shop owner.

I used to get a lot of really cheap boat dives like that when Hawaii Sea Adventures was in business.

Last edited by a moderator:
For that they may get thrown such bone as getting the boat dive for the shop cost so that the seats that the shop pre-bought don't wind up costing the shop owner.
Jack's owns the boats.

"Insiders" or whatever, they are getting a deal not available to other local residents. I like the crew there, but after the heart attack I had seeing what their prices were last April, I'll go with who looks out for Kama'aina.

Jack's owns the boats.

"Insiders" or whatever, they are getting a deal not available to other local residents. I like the crew there, but after the heart attack I had seeing what their prices were last April, I'll go with who looks out for Kama'aina.

Even if they own their own boats, they still have to pay a captain, fuel and upkeep. Their losses for empty seats may be even greater than for a shop owner who is paying for just the seats.

Jack's has quite a long and positive reputation, they may not need to be as cut throat as some of the other operators to keep their doors open.

Well, Lisa, you are welcome to pay inflated tourist prices to dive with them. In today's economy and shrinking tourist numbers, good luck to them.

To show a little aloha for locals would be a drop in the bucket, what, 1 out of every 100 divers maybe? I don't think what Big Island Divers is doing could be called cutthroat, any more than what Island Divers does here. IDH has kama'aina rates, as well as a killer club thing. It's a loyalty thing as well, keeps people coming back.

Well, Lisa, you are welcome to pay inflated tourist prices to dive with them. In today's economy and shrinking tourist numbers, good luck to them.

To show a little aloha for locals would be a drop in the bucket, what, 1 out of every 100 divers maybe? I don't think what Big Island Divers is doing could be called cutthroat, any more than what Island Divers does here. IDH has kama'aina rates, as well as a killer club thing. It's a loyalty thing as well, keeps people coming back.

Loyalty doesn't mean a whole lot to a business that can't keep its doors open. And comparing the diving community here to that of the Big Island is like comparing apples to grapes. Kona is primarily a tourist destination and obviously Jack's takes in enough business to keep their doors open at the prices they see fit to charge. Jack's has been in business for a long time so I think they are more than familar with how to weather rough economic times. And quite frankly, I really don't see a whole lot of difference in the prices between Big Island Divers and Jack's if you are talking about a single day of diving.

Personally, I think a lot of those club things wind up being a rip off anyway. Last time some shop tried to sell me on on their club thing that included a handful of guided shore dives, I told them how much I had shore dove that month already with friends and they looked kind of embarrassed.

As for Island Divers Hawaii, I can't say that I wasn't all that impressed when I went there with the intention of doing some business with them. Went there to rent some gear for a visiting friend and they didn't have any - claimed that it was all out already. And that was only after I had to hurrumpf a few times to get the shop employee to end what was clearly a personal call and to tend to business. If I wasn't already in Hawaii Kai with a plan to dive China Wall, I'd have taken my business elsewhere. Fortunately, another friend who was planning to dive was able to outfit my friend with some borrowed gear.

And quite frankly, I really don't see a whole lot of difference in the prices between Big Island Divers and Jack's if you are talking about a single day of diving.
????? You dove with Jack's lately? Their pricing is already at the top of the list.
Big Island Divers gives a good 20% discount to locals on equipment and dives. and if you join the dive club they run its like 50% off on all boat dives.
Not much difference, eh? Mebbe for you, but I ain't rich.

As for Island Divers Hawaii, I can't say that I wasn't all that impressed when I went there with the intention of doing some business with them.
Oh c'mon Lisa, what does that have to do with the way they handle dive boat discounts for locals? FWIW, I like the boat and the people I have met so far.

The bottom line is Jack's apparently does quietly discount to some "favored" locals. That irks me that isn't extended to all locals, particularly as I have spent thousands of dollars over 12 years with them as a tourist. Giving a kama'aina discount to the rest of the tiny percentage of local divers compared to the hordes of tourists is not going to make or break a company, it would only bolster their business by adding a steady trickle of local repeat business. I am sure you know how important repeat customers are.

I know them, Keller, Andy, and Jeff know me and my wife on sight. I would rather dive with them than any other outfit. Was fine with the pricing when I was a visitor. But I will not pay them 20-50% more than I have to as a local, especially that I am convinced they do discount to some.

You are fishing to defend them it seems. Fine, we'll have to agree to disagree. I'd rather spend the >$100 I can save for two divers with BI Divers club rates on a good dinner at Roy's. Have no interest in diving with any Oahu shops either that don't acknowledge locals with some small discount. We are not on vacation spending tons of money, we live and work here.

Interesting thread :)

I just went to both web sites and called both shops with a few Q's;

2-tank morning charter is normally $125($55 snorkeler) with Jack's, $120($95) with Big Island Divers. 2-tank Manta is $145($95)/Jack's, $130($90)/Big Island. 3-tank Advanced/Long Range is $225/Jack's, $200/Big Island.

Jacks gives $5 off first charter, $10 off second, $15 off the rest of your charters (any charter). I now realize I should have asked "if I came back every few months would it still be $15 off?" :wink:

Big Island gives $20 off AM charters. Night and Long Range are not normally discounted unless part of a multiple trip package, but the cheerful "mate" I spoke with indicated there is wiggle room when bookings are soft.

Renting gear is much more expensive with Jack's, but the serious Kama'aina diver would bring their own gear.

For a quick hit holo-holo trip (same day AM & Manta charters), Jack's is $$255, Big Island is $230.

Big Island Divers Club membership is for Big Island residents only, bookings are stand by only, members will be lugging and changing their own gear and are expected to help out the crew as needed.

My experience with those shops was back in Nov. '04. Two Sundays before Turkey day I did AM 2-tank with Big Island; better discount was the deal maker, trip was well done. The next Sunday I booked the Long Range and Manta trips with Big Island. When I showed up for the Long Range they did not have the minimum guests for the trip, so they expected me to go on the normal AM 2-tank.

Jack's did go on the Advanced trip that morning, but since Big Island did not mention they were under the minimum 24 hours before, I could not make that trip. Rubbed a little raw by that, I canceled the night with Big Island and did AM and Night with Jack's.

My only c-card on that trip was OWSI, and my number is only 1 number different from the Guide who checked me in; sort of a bonding moment. I was competent and polite enough on the first trip to gain the Captain's trust, as was one of my fellow day divers. We were the only carry-overs for the night trip, with the same Captain. When we were geared up well in advance of the rest for the Manta dive, the Captain gave the OK for us to go ahead on our own.

I had my still rig, he had a nice video rig and we had at least 10 minutes without the clueless noob's that were the majority of the boat (seemed like 20 minutes, didn't time it). The Manta part was so good I did not care to do the Garden Eel Cove night tour part and happily surfaced with more than 1000 psi (buddy did also).

P1010449.jpg

Before we left the shop that night the video from our trip was playing on the TV in the shop window. Overall, an impressively professional operation. I would not hesitate to dive with either company, the price difference of $5 or $6 dollars per tank is not enough to make much difference, compared to the human interaction factor.

P1010473.jpg

Today's phone calls favored Big Island Divers but in the current economy kama'ainas trying for unpublished deals on multiple trip packages has been common for most Maui operators, and Kona operators are likely working hard to put trips together as well.

P10104721.jpg

Last edited:
After all this... Just looking at Jack's web page... Jack's has it's own premier and kids dive clubs too, with comparable discounts on certain things, primarily night trips, snorkelers, gear rentals and such. You gotta hit the right buttons to find it, but it's there.

Back
Top Bottom