Scooter thread split from Diver missing from Vandenberg Wreck in Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It amazes me that people think they can outswim mother ocean.

Shite breaks and no-one can outlast mother ocean.
Insane to think that fitness can not help a situation because “mother ocean”. Like there isn’t a whole big swath of gray between benign conditions and overpowering.

Sometimes I forget that I enter into these discussions with people who are so out of shape that they can’t even carry their own tanks and struggle with climbing a ladder.

Different worlds.

Insane to think that fitness can not help a situation because “mother ocean”
I didn't post that so stop mischaracterizing what I posted. I know my limits and I'm smart enough to dive within those limits. I'm also smart enough to think a problem through rather than try to bull my way through. You've come out swinging because I think it's important to realize that mother nature is a strong ass bitch. Only a fool doesn't respect her. Now you're suggesting that I can't get off or on the boat. What a crock. I've never been helped on or off the boat. Now, I am getting old and I am recovering from back surgery, but I find your attempts to shame me for being out of shape as ill thought out and frankly mean spirited.

I didn't post that so stop mischaracterizing what I posted. I know my limits and I'm smart enough to dive within those limits. I'm also smart enough to think a problem through rather than try to bull my way through. You've come out swinging because I think it's important to realize that mother nature is a strong ass bitch. Only a fool doesn't respect her. Now you're suggesting that I can't get off or on the boat. What a crock. I've never been helped on or off the boat. Now, I am getting old and I am recovering from back surgery, but I find your attempts to shame me for being out of shape as ill thought out and frankly mean spirited.
I never said anything about you, Pete. If you assigned my comments to yourself then perhaps it’s ringing true. Idk, I haven’t seen you in over a decade. Maybe more.

Regardless, there ARE people with this toxic mentality that they don’t need physical fitness because of x reason. It’s dangerous and puts those around you at unneeded risk. People who do adventure activities and aren’t fit are not an asset when things go sideways. At worst, they’re a liability.

Insane to think that fitness can not help a situation because “mother ocean”. Like there isn’t a whole big swath of gray between benign conditions and overpowering.

Sometimes I forget that I enter into these discussions with people who are so out of shape that they can’t even carry their own tanks and struggle with climbing a ladder.

Different worlds.

"I'm in such fantastic shape that I need a scooter to dive the deep wrecks off of the SEFL coast." Way to help your argument.

"I'm in such fantastic shape that I need a scooter to dive the deep wrecks off of the SEFL coast." Way to help your argument.
Tools man. Makes the dive better and safer.

Kind of like being fit.

Hot take: you can scooter and be in good shape.

Rationalization for lack of fitness.
This was directly quoting ME.
I never said anything about you, Pete.
Whatever. The quotes seem to disagree with you.
Regardless, there ARE people with this toxic mentality that they don’t need physical fitness because of x reason.
You don't need to be a Johnny Weissmuller to dive. You do need to dive appropriately. Know your limits and dive within them.

Even worse than a Scuba Fatty, are those people who don't know or honor their limits. Fitness is good, but it still has limitations. Some over-rely on technology to do their diving for them. Some think they have god-like stamina. Many plan their dives to go the way they want them to. That's all fine until it doesn't. I've been on the Vandy a half dozen times and came back each time. Yet, it's taken its toll on ill-prepared divers over the years. They had all planned climbing back on their boat too. I don't care how fit you think you might be: mother ocean can snuff you out before anyone knows you're missing. I've seen it happen on wrecks, in caves, and even on reefs. Once you're in a pissing match with her, you're destined to lose. Know your limits. Honor your limits. Plan as if things will go wrong.

And yeah, I've had dives not go the way I had planned. So far, my backup plans for when they didn't have worked fine. Sometimes that backup plan was to stay on the boat and sip hot chocolate. There's nothing down there worth dying for.

• Bullseye!
Reactions: L13

Different worlds.
…and that is why you are promoting a scooter? I find those things ridiculous. The last thing I need in the water is to be behind or on a machine (but for the boat). I get enough “ motor time” on I95 driving to work.

If you can’t swim down or around without a machine…just say’n

…and that is why you are promoting a scooter? I find those things ridiculous. The last thing I need in the water is to be behind or on a machine (but for the boat). I get enough “ motor time” on I95 driving to work.

If you can’t swim down or around without a machine…just say’n
A scooter can make your dive safer and more fun.

You’re going to have a tough time in a gulf stream current at 240’ without one.

Fitness is still important.

A scooter can make your dive safer and more fun.
Again, they would not make my diving more "fun" as I abhor them. I keep reading about scooter deaths in caves. People rely on them until they die, and then the diver dies. They encourage too many to exceed their limits, and I find no safety in that at all. If you're going to rely on a scooter to go where you couldn't go before, then it's best to pull a redundant scooter, or make other plans to ameliorate the extra risks. It's all fun and games until it stops working when you need it most.

Skill, and skill in planning is of the utmost importance.

Back
Top Bottom