Jackson Blue 2-20-10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wjefferis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I made it out to Marianna early this morning (2-20-10) making it to Edd's at 7:30. I splashed my tanks into the fill bucket and was greated by a new employee that Edd hired to help him not run around like a chicken with his head cut off. The new guy (didn't get his name) was very helpful and even carried my tanks back to my truck. The original plan was to meet up with Denisegg, GlenFWB and Robert Neto Chipola Divers - Home for a few dives. Unfortunately, Denise and Glen couldn't make it so it just ended up being Robert and I. Once at JB I took my tanks over to the stagging area and saw some huge fish in the spring basin. Once I walked up the the diving platform I was amazed to see about a dozen very large fresh water fish hanging out right at the mouth of the cavern. I have no idea what kind of fish they were, but they were about the size of amberjack (no kidding). They were definately the largest freshwater fish I have ever seen.

Robert was my cavern instructor and since it was just going to be us two diving he offered to take me on a "intro to cave experience" dive. Since he is going to be my instructor for my up coming intro class, I jumped at the opportunity to get a little experience prior to class. The flow was definately up and I found myself huffing and puffing on the way down the chimney. Once in the first big room I was able to get out of the flow a bit more and was finally able to slow my breathing to a more relaxed pace. I ended up turning the dive on 1/6ths at the end of the second breakdown (something like 790'-800'p). Once turned around, I only had to use my fins to keep pointed in the right direction as the flow was taking care of the rest as I enjoyed a nice drift dive back. While drifting back Robert pointed out Chicken Head Rock which was cool to see as I have heard Glen and Denise talk about it. After making a slow ascent back up the chimney we drifted through the cavern zone to do our 3 minute safety stop and then exited. I haven't downloaded my computer yet, but I believe we ended up with a 45 minute dive with a max depth of 97 FFW.

Once back at the staging area I was surprised to see all of the divers who had decented upon JB while we were under. It was cool to see all the rebreather/scooter teams and others gearing up. During our surface interval Robert told me how to better use the cave to duck out of the flow and gave me some useful tips on how to improve my kick. So after about an hour and half surface interval we splashed for our second dive. During this dive I put Robert's advice into action and starting looking ahead and using the exposed rocks in front of me better to avoid the flow. This technique worked great and allowed me to keep my breathing much closer to normal. I decided not to push all the way to 1/6ths on the second dive and turned at 700'p. Once back to the start/end of the gold line, I pulled my reel and had an interesting time trying to reel while at the same time attempting to not get shot out of the mouth of the cavern like a rocket. I ended up getting the job done, but it wasn't pretty.

Today I ended up with one not so great thing and one really great thing happening during these two dives. The bad thing was that I now believe that Robert has ruined my ability to just enjoy cavern dives as I now long to do more intro level dives (evil plan maybe :D). The great thing was that on my second dive of the day I finally logged in dive number 200 !!!!!!!! :wave:

I just wanted to make sure to say thank you to Robert for a great experience and a super fun day of diving.

Last edited:
Good report Walter. I am really bummed I couldn't make it over there today. I don't think my ears would have allowed me to dive anyways. Every time I saw the sun shinning today I kept grumbling to myself about not diving. To make myself feel better, I worked on my Nomad and some other dive gear. I am mounting my computer on my slate right now...something I have wanted to do for a while.

Glad you had some good dives...these caves are addicting aren't they!

Wow, I'd love to know where to get out of the flow past the chimney -- that's where I usually get CO2 toxic!

Reading these reports make me sad that our possible trip to Florida in February didn't work out. But we'll be there in December.

Thanks for the report, Walter! It was great diving with you today! Sorry about ruining your cavern diving, but you know, I am a crack dealer (crack in the ground, that is) and I like to give out free samples every now and then to keep the addiction going... :wink:

You would think a guy like you in the medical field would be a little nicer to those of us with an addiction problem.

I am a crack dealer (crack in the ground, that is) and I like to give out free samples every now and then to keep the addiction going... :wink:

I finally logged in dive number 200 !!!!!!!! :wave:

Congrats Walter!! I wish I could have been there to help you celebrate! And shame on you for trying to text me a pic of how beautiful JB was today. At least my phone didn't pick up the pic :wink:

You would think a guy like you in the medical field would be a little nicer to those of us with an addiction problem.

I am helping. I'm feeding the addiction so you feel good. Isn't that what addicts want?!? When they come into the ER seeking drugs and don't get them they are upset with us... :D

Great report Walter. Good to see you again. The flow is no better at the 2nd T but at least there are a few ways to avoid some of it.

I missed you guys. I didn't get started till a bit later (10ish). Did a scooter dive to the 2nd T and then back around Court's Squeeze (ciruit). I did the upline at the chicken head and then fooled around in the cavern. I did Gator after that. Thursday and Friday were both really fine days as far as weather conditions are concerned. I hated to leave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom