Jacques Cousteaus plaque is wearing out and looking pretty bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

perhaps a land based information board could be errected like is typically done at historical points. It could contain a photo of the plaque like the one listed above which is very readable, directions, distance and depth for newer divers to locate it, and some information on Jacques Cousteau and his connection to Catalina. That way non divers could also be informed of it and enjoy it. Maybe it would even inspire some younger people to take up diving to be able to go under and see the real thing.

Best idea yet.

I have all of the original paperwork on the plaque, so I can find out exactly what the plaque is made out of, and the rock. Let me go thru some files and i will let you guys know when I find it.
I would love if it could be cleaned, but it shouldnt be replaced

when the monument was dedicated, were there any permissions that needed to be obtained from management officials or agencies? the reasons I ask is that Dr. Bill noted the area is now a marine protected area (a wonderful catch all phrase that means nothing except some government agency now has a say and possible permit authority over what happens there). Does the MPA have a policy that once something is removed it cannot be replaced or did the original approval (if any, would that have been from the Avalon City Council?) have similar restrictions? Before someone goes chasing tails it might be useful information to know. I recall the controvery that the Family Camp engendered when it was first proposed, "Cousteau's Summer Camp for Overprivileged Children" as some called it, and would hate to see the memorial engender that same kind of controversy. Yes, permit conditions can be amended, sometimes easily, sometimes not. Not everyone holds the Captain in the same esteem as many of us. There are also groups that believe divers are marine invasive species and would welcome the opportunity to use this to take a whack at us.

Not everyone holds the Captain in the same esteem as many of us. There are also groups that believe divers are marine invasive species and would welcome the opportunity to use this to take a whack at us.

We do that to our collective selves. For example, when we do silly things, like blow a hole in a reef. "For science."

I recall the controvery that the Family Camp engendered when it was first proposed, "Cousteau's Summer Camp for Overprivileged Children" as some called it, and would hate to see the memorial engender that same kind of controversy.

I was directly involved back in 1989 when we were trying to obtain a location for Jean-Michel's programs out here on Catalina. The furor that arose was triggered by several politically connected entities all with vested interests in keeping the site in the hands of the lessees at that time. Of course no one countered their BS with the information that they were heavily in arrears on their lease payments, had violated some of the terms of their lease and that the leadership of the Boy Scout Council at that time had done some very shaky things. For example, they had leased Lincoln Continentals from one of my former high school students. He told me they hadn't made their lease payments in months. What do BSA council leaders need Lincoln Continentals for in the first place?

Fortunately the leadership if that Council changed... very much for the better. We did arrange to have Jean-Michel operate out of Howland's Landing through a cooperative arrangement with the Catalina Island Camps.

Food for thought, leave the old plaque in place. And use it to mount the new one. I assume that it is brass or other soft metal. Drill new holes insert self taping anchors and mount the plaque.

Good Divin
SoCalRich

Other than watching the Cousteau specials when i was growing up I don't have a dog in this fight as I'm not a So Cal diver, but:

1) I like the natural look of stuff in the sea and that's especially fitting in this case.
2) If you replace it will take 15 years of marine growth to get back to where you are now, and you'll never get to where you'd have been 15 years from now with the original plaque.
3) If readability is a concern, place a new one near it (one hopes it would be tastefully done and fit the environment), but leave the old one alone as it has an intrinsic value all it's own.

On thinking about it I agree. It would be like rebuilding the Pyramids because they look worn. Just place another plaque next to it with clear text.

I took some pics when it was lowered and placed back in 1997. See them here.
Very nice, thanks for posting the photos. One thing, it looks like the plaque was originally placed in an upright position, but I believe now it is more of 45-60 degree angle tilted now. Perhaps the sand underneath it shifted causing it to slope back.
I often use it as a navigation point when diving in the park.

Back
Top Bottom