Jacques Cousteaus plaque is wearing out and looking pretty bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is hard to believe they are the same plate. Thanks for posting that bit of history.

KW, thank you for the information and revitalizing this thread! Dr Bill will be the best asset for discussing the donation I think.

The plaque is a wonderful "landmark". I love to take divers new to the park there, especially for a photo op.

Reactions: D_B
I just saw it this past Saturday and thought it looked fine. Stuff in the ocean shouldn't look new.

I just saw it this past Saturday and thought it looked fine. Stuff in the ocean shouldn't look new.

If the CA diving community is prepared to pay for it's identical replacement. In my opinion, Jean-Michel should have the final say...

If the CA diving community is prepared to pay for it's identical replacement. In my opinion, Jean-Michel should have the final say...

Doesn't sound too me like Jean-Michel had anything to do with the original. The son of the man that made it and placed it asked that it not be removed. Leave it and install another.

Other than watching the Cousteau specials when i was growing up I don't have a dog in this fight as I'm not a So Cal diver, but:

1) I like the natural look of stuff in the sea and that's especially fitting in this case.
2) If you replace it will take 15 years of marine growth to get back to where you are now, and you'll never get to where you'd have been 15 years from now with the original plaque.
3) If readability is a concern, place a new one near it (one hopes it would be tastefully done and fit the environment), but leave the old one alone as it has an intrinsic value all it's own.

If readibility is an issue perhaps a land based information board could be errected like is typically done at historical points. It could contain a photo of the plaque like the one listed above which is very readable, directions, distance and depth for newer divers to locate it, and some information on Jacques Cousteau and his connection to Catalina. That way non divers could also be informed of it and enjoy it. Maybe it would even inspire some younger people to take up diving to be able to go under and see the real thing.

Last edited:
Maybe we could blast hole in the reef so the plaque could be put somewhere it would get less wear and tear? /sarcasm

I never understood why no one never placed a concrete statue like they have in Florida Keys. They age gracefully under the water.

Bill

Fortunately the dive park is now a marine protected area so a lot of actions can't be taken. Personally I prefer to see the marine life, not human trash. To clarify, I'm not talking about the Cousteau plaque but a statue and other stuff. Would be glad to offer any assistance in getting the materials donated to the museum. Jean-Michel operates Cousteau Family Camp out at Howland's Landing here on the island each August.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom