Jamaica - is it worth it to haul dive gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I my opinion just skip the diving in Jamaica. We went for 7 years to the Negril area, we 1st chose this area for the diving but by the 2nd trip didn't even take our dive gear. I am sorry but the diving sucks if you have ever been any place good. It is a great party place but as a dive location it sucks. ymmv

I my opinion just skip the diving in Jamaica. We went for 7 years to the Negril area, we 1st chose this area for the diving but by the 2nd trip didn't even take our dive gear. I am sorry but the diving sucks if you have ever been any place good. It is a great party place but as a dive location it sucks. ymmv

I will respectfully disagree with your assessment. Not sure when you first (or last) dove Negril, but our first trip was 2003, then again in 2008, then 2013, then 2015, and most recently this past August (2016). Have to admit, due to circumstances not related to diving, we only snorkeled this last trip. In every instance of diving, it has been progressively better each time. Local management practices have improved fish populations, and the structure (such as the extraordinary barrel sponges, and vast expanses of vibrant reef) makes us want to come back for more.

We have heard that the dive experience in Negril can be heavily influenced by the dive op. For our first trip, we dove with the on-site op at our resort, for the next three, we dove with an off-site op, and then for our snorkeling, we used the on-site op. When we go back, we will be using the on-site for diving, as we have watched their activity, and have come to respect and appreciate the service they offer. The off-site op took us to a wide variety of dive sites, all of which were alive, colorful, and healthy. We have found that the on-site at the resort we use has also started to extend their services to many of those sites.

Here's a few pictures from our December 2015 dive trip.

27aba505-7482-4ec0-86be-67a6f2f52a1e_zpsoewhte3w.jpg

PICT0576_zpsv66wtc0x.jpg

2be43322-18e2-4ef2-b358-7c099b52340a_zps7frfghy1.jpg

Yeah, I agree with someone who said "Don't bother". However, night diving was pretty good. In Negril area, check Rick's Cafe where jumping into the sea is quite an attraction (but eat at the place next door called Pub[some number]). Waterfalls were also interesting. Note, however, that the roads are bad and driving is slow.

Where are you flying from? Jamaica Airlines flights to Baltimore, NYC and Phila leave at about the same time. So they have a bad habit of overselling tickets and then shuffling passengers between the flights. Meaning, you can spend the night in their shuttle bus en route from Phila to Maryland and arrive home at 3 am.

My first-ever ocean diving was in Montego Bay in January 2017. There was certainly a lot of dead coral and only a few larger schools of fish, but there still were things to see. I know I have better diving coming in the future, but I don't regret taking my gear. I even got a fun face-to-face encounter with a 6 ft. nurse swimming the opposite direction deep in a reef canyon. The whole experience was fun enough that I'm totally hooked. Again, it was pretty clear that the reefs and walls weren't in the greatest shape, but it still was fun and I think, worth it.

A few pics...

Jamaica 2017 by Joe Blow

My first-ever ocean diving was in Montego Bay in January 2017. There was certainly a lot of dead coral and only a few larger schools of fish, but there still were things to see. I know I have better diving coming in the future, but I don't regret taking my gear. I even got a fun face-to-face encounter with a 6 ft. nurse swimming the opposite direction deep in a reef canyon. The whole experience was fun enough that I'm totally hooked. Again, it was pretty clear that the reefs and walls weren't in the greatest shape, but it still was fun and I think, worth it.

A few pics...

Jamaica 2017 by Joe Blow
I'm happy for you. This was likely the same nurse shark I saw 10 years ago in the same canyon! I'm glad the poor thing is still alive and wasn't poisoned by cyanide or dynamited.

"poisoned by cyanide or dynamited". - WOW what would drive you to say the most unusually (disturbing - bordering on stupid) comment? please explain as I am sure we all want to know! have you seen dynamiting
of sea life? In Jamaica!

Last edited:
"poisoned by cyanide or dynamited". - WOW what would drive you to say the most unusually (disturbing - bordering on stupid) comment? please explain as I am sure we all want to know! have you seen dynamiting
of sea life? In Jamaica!
While diving there, we were enlightened on the ways of local fishermen by our boat crew. They could have been exaggerating, of course.

Note that both reports refer to this practice in fresh water locations, one the South Negril River, and the other Alligator Pond. I don't doubt that both use of explosives and poisoning can be used in salt water, as well, and maybe the perpetrators simply haven't been caught. One can't wonder, however, that the use of an explosive in broad daylight, on reefs as populated as those in the area of Negril, would be easily noticed.

of sea life? In Jamaica!
The fish didn't pack up and leave Jamaica on their own :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom