Jamaica - Negril - Sandals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speaking of snow, here is something for you "down south" people to appreciate.:D

Attachments

• Neige.JPG
    Neige.JPG
    392.5 KB · Views: 60
Sandals/Beaches and Superclubs (Grand Lido/Hedonism/Breezes Runaway Bay), now charge for the "resort course", which had been a part of the package for all guests a few years ago.

It seems now that they charge, there are way fewer "resort course" participants so they are less likely to put them on the shallow dive with the certified divers, making the second dive (shallow dive) more certified diver friendly.

Back from Sandals Negril and Sandals Royal Carribean in MoBay, spent 5 days at each location.

In Negril I saw a family of dolfins, three mothers and their babys with two other adults who came to check us out, two sharks, three turtles a few barracudas one green eel and tons of blue school fishes and coral reef inhabitants and on a night dive a huge orange crab and an octopus.

In MoBay did three wall dives, the Widowmaker, saw a giant spotted eagle ray feeding on conch. Did two dives in an area where we coursed trough collumns of coral, under arches and overhangs, like diving a cave but without the overhead, a real buoyancy and trim challenge. Seventeen dives in all, max depth 90 feet, total time nearly 10 hours under water.

Not too bad for a place some describe as second rate. :shakehead:

Let's see what comes of Ed's trip.

I went to mobay and royal caribean this year. The Dm's there go way far out of their way to ensure that the certified divers have a good time and get to see alot. At royal caribean a real good DM named Shaq, One day in particular I was on the 2nd shallow dive, I think I was the only certified diver there, in a group of 10. Anyway before we went down he talked to the other DMs then told me that we were gonna go in our own direction. He took me down this wierd overhanging coral, and under the overhand there were the brightest fish you would ever see in your life.

Just my experience sandals really takes care of it's guests

Just got back from Jamaica. West of Mo Bay - Round Hill - you do not need to stay at the resort to dive with them - great dive crew. DM - Monster or Scott will show you some nice locations.

I would like thank everyone for their input. I returned on January 13th from the Sandals at Negril. To be honest I didn't have high expectations but was pleasantly surprised. The dive boat and Captain MasIntosh were 1st class. The Divemasters were also helpful, friendly, funny, and (most important) professional in every respect.
I lost two days due to weather and another two to day trips. I managed to sqeeze in 18 dives including 2 night dives. The average number of divers on the 0930 run was 4 to 6, with the 1130 dive slightly more. The most we had on any single dive was 10 and usually there would be students that were dropped off and picked up later. When we did the 'deep plane' there were only two of us and the Divemaster.
The shallow reefs were well worn and showing signs of heavy traffic. The outer reefs such as 'Chinese Reef' the reef at the 'Deep Plane' were very good in colour and composition.
I saw a good variety of the typical tropical sea life including rays, nurse sharks (8 footer), turtles, jacks, angels, squirrel fish, flounder, lobster, wrasse, spotted drum ect... Even an octopus in broad daylight changing colour .
A lot of the reef damage is caused by fishermen dropping traps on the coral. These traps are wire mesh bound to sticks and can be as large as 6X4X3 feet. The traps are marked on the surface with plastic bottles. During the two day storm some of the traps lost the markers and were abandoned. When we found them the fish inside were dead or dying. Whenever we found one on the reef we moved it off to the sand.
The highlight of my trip was being 'nudged' by a dolphin. There were 6 of us at 35 feet with me in the rear. I felt a bump on my side and the dolphin swam passed me and through our group. It turned and swam back through us and headed odd to the surface. The whole sequence lasted no more than 30 seconds but it was the ultimate thrill for me. It was my first underwater dolphin encounter.
As I said, I was pleased with my trip and may return someday, once I have crossed off the rest of the entries on my 'To Do' list.

This is a little off the original Negril topic, but it looks like a few people who know all the area Sandals resorts have posted. I'll be at the Sandals Inn in Montego Bay in April, but will have to go to another of the local Sandals for Diving. Anyone know if either of the others (Royal Caribbean vs. Sandals Montego Bay) should be preferred for diving? Are they completely separate dive ops or do they combine trips anyway? Do both offer the same basic dive schedule, boats, etc?

I am a moderately experienced, frequent diver and have read enough posts to lower my expectations a little, but want to get wet with the better dive op if there's a difference. I'll use it as an opportunity to hang out and enjoy the other resort amenities while there as well. I want to just pick one or the other and develop a relationship for a few days of diving. If all else is equal the Royal Caribbean looks like the better for other amenities.

I also hope to make a day trip over to Negril and enjoy the resort there. Is the diving different enough there to plan on including a dive that afternoon?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom