Jamaica or Cancun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went diving in Jamaica about 2 years ago, not much to see, unless you're into sunken drug planes with Greatful Dead stickers. The island is beautiful and lots to see and do, but the economy is very poor so the Jamaicans have fished out and eaten everything within reach. Cancun is VERY touristy but has great beaches. The diving IN Cancun is not that great until you go away from the mainland a ways and hit the reef. If you want GREAT diving, go to Cozumel. Hands down, the absolute best. And the island is beautiful, friendly people and laid back.

Couples Negril:

We had a great time, the food was wonderful, the facility was impeccable, and the service and staff were great. The drinks while free were always available, I thought you would have to wait a long time - but it was immediate. However, my wife and I are both divers, we have 20+ years of experience many, many trips. The dive itself, the underwater topography and life was nice - the reef was akin to Key Largo, the fish life was minimal but what was there was cool. The dive operation and the instructor who ran the trip were horrendous. We dove one day and did not go back. The operation had simple procedures all messed up. Wt. belts are set up on the boat before you get to the dive site (five minute ride) this is after they asked how much wt you want. We got to the dive shop 20 minutes ahead of time to make sure of all the details, then sat there doing nothing only to be rushed in the five minute boat ride. The dive staff did nothing for you - zero. The drift line is tied to a cleat on the side of the boat not the ladder, so when you pull to the boat you end up having to grab the swim deck - in 3-4 ft seas this is simply dangerous. Tie the rope to the ladder!! Worst of all there is no dock. You have to carry your gear to a dingy that takes you to the dive boat which is on a mooring. The instructor was arrogant at best. After walking to the dingy on the beach, the dive instructor to us to get all the sand off the dive bag so there is no sand on the dingy - our dive bag has wheels.

My recommendation is this is an excellent place to vacation, well worth the money and travel. I would love to stay there again. If you are a diver - don't bring your gear. The dive operation was the only down side to the entire vacation. Kudos for the facility (bars, bedroom, dining etc) Kudos to the staff, Kudos to the cooking staff. But diving operation should start all over again.

If you got to go to Jamaica, be sure to take Mermaid 8733 with you, cause the diving isn't worth the time and travel...she must know something we don't. They love to dynamite fish around the isalnd, and it shows. Cancun can be descent. Travel over to Holbox island to see the whale sharks in season, dive the cenotes on the mainland, and get the right dive guide and dive some (of the few) reefs worth diving around Cancun...also considering taking Mermaid 8733 for the nite life.

A friend of mine went to Jamaica earlier this year and was disappointed. She reported that it was damaged and not very spectacular. (Not sure which sites she dove.)

Of course, Cancun/Cozumel is beautiful...

I cant speak of cancun but I can cozumel, I vacationed in cozumel in july of 2004 It was the best vacation ever! I vacationed in Jamaica in Nov of 2005 I wasnt impressed. I will be going back to cozumel in Feb 2006. I dont plan on going anywhere else ever!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom