Jamaica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was supposed to attend my niece's wedding at Sandals in Ocho Rios last weekend. However, as a single, the room would have cost me about $500/night. I looked into off-resort accommodations but was told by many it was not safe to stay off the resort grounds. I had considered extending my stay to dive in Negril for a week. but I decided to cancel the entire thing.

The feedback that I got was that the diving was pretty bad. That wouldn't necessarily stop me as I see value in filming locations where the habitat has been seriously degraded and then using them as examples in my videos. However, I also heard that the dives were guided and were lucky to last 30 minutes and that the "unlimited diving" at Sandals meant a maximum of two dives a day. Really? No thanks.

I'd respectfully disagree with the feedback you received, although not knowing whether it was site specific, or a generalization of the entire island. We have been to Negril three times (2003, 2008, 2013), and while not spectacular, I would not typify the habitat as degraded, and applaud the efforts that are being made in Negril to improve the fish populations and improve the diving experience. Each time we have seen improvement, and the feedback we get from dive professionals is that there is a committment, and maybe its limited only to the Negril area, to improve the dive experience to enhance tourism.

Thanks for all the feedback. Trip is in 3 weeks, so it’s close.

Our trip is 10 days, so I will dive in both Ocho and in Negril. 5 days @ Beaches and 5 days @ Sandals Negril.

On another note, I just took a 2 day live aboard scuba trip to the Texas Flower Gardens – it was SPECTACULAR – I got 15 feet away from an ~8 ft Great Hammerhead, and inches away from Silkies. Diving the East/West flower gardens, High Island 376A Oil Rig and Stetson Bank is going to be VERY hard to beat this year...

Thanks again for the input!

MC

Good to hear that Negril may be better than the feedback I've received. Of course I'm not a big fan of diving the eastern Caribbean anyway as it pales in comparison to Asia where I prefer to go. I had a dive buddy who worked as a researcher at Flower Gardens Natl;. Marine Sanctuary and sent me a picture years back of tiny little her beside a huge whale shark. Very cool.

My sister e-mailed me last night after taking a tour around Ocho Rios and said that the area outside the Sandals resort was pretty bad and that one of the cocktail waitresses at Sandals who lives in Ocho Rios said she won't take a taxi home after a late shift so I'm glad I didn't try staying off resort.

My sister e-mailed me last night after taking a tour around Ocho Rios and said that the area outside the Sandals resort was pretty bad and that one of the cocktail waitresses at Sandals who lives in Ocho Rios said she won't take a taxi home after a late shift so I'm glad I didn't try staying off resort.

I've been to Runaway 2x, I know its unsafe outside the resorts, but why wouldn't someone take a taxi?

I've been to Runaway 2x, I know its unsafe outside the resorts, but why wouldn't someone take a taxi?

Same here, whenever we go off resort, we always take some form of private transportation, and never had a problem.

Good question, but the reply came from a local according to my sister. Maybe it was because she was a single woman?

I was supposed to attend my niece's wedding at Sandals in Ocho Rios last weekend. However, as a single, the room would have cost me about $500/night. I looked into off-resort accommodations but was told by many it was not safe to stay off the resort grounds. I had considered extending my stay to dive in Negril for a week. but I decided to cancel the entire thing.
$500 a night seems very high - even for an all inclusive. You might try looking around at some of the travel aggregators (like Hotels.com) - I'd be surprised if you can't find a good, reputable resort for between $100-200 a night. Although, I assume there's some seasonal fluctuation.

. . . However, I also heard that the dives were guided and were lucky to last 30 minutes and that the "unlimited diving" at Sandals meant a maximum of two dives a day. Really? No thanks.
The two guided dives a day sounds right. All of the dive groups I contacted, back when I went, did check-out dives (and only check-out dives) in the afternoon. That left mornings and (possibly) evenings for people who are already certified - and I couldn't find anyone doing night dives.

However, there's a certain "flexibility". The guide who led my group was so bored with his usual dive sites, I think he'd have been very open to alternate suggestions (particularly if you tipped him). And even the touristy stuff (like Dunn's River Falls) is deserted on Sundays . . .

A lot of the unaffiliated dive shops are willing to come get tourists at the resorts, too. One of them was over an hour away, and they still offered. So if you don't like what your resort's offering, it doesn't hurt to call around.

---------- Post added May 8th, 2014 at 03:52 PM ----------

I think they meant unregistered taxis. The resorts maintain their own stable of pre-screened taxi & shuttle drivers, but those cost a premium. There are also local (government-registered) taxis, which are supposed to be pretty safe, too. But there are also unofficial taxis . . . and there have been "incidents" with them.

And I can see that. Some of the local communities I passed through were nice, but others looked like Third World slums, patched together with whatever building supplies could be found/scavenged/stolen. And the Jamaican government has the bad habit of portraying foreign tourists as infinitely wealthy. . .

Oh, and incidentally, the moment you step off your resort, prepare to be pestered for tips. Except for my dive trips, almost anyone I ran into asked for a tip, for even the most minimal service. And one shuttle driver subjected us to a half-an-hour sob story, about how expensive it was to be a parent in Jamaica, with school fees and uniforms

I've always rented my own car at the airport, and never went near Ocho Rios or the immediate vicinity of any of the super clubs, which tend to attract all sorts of parasites and which tend to exaggerate the risks of steping off their grounds. In truth, it is hazardous just outside their gates, but much less when you put a few hundred yards between you and the fences and get that scared tourist look off you faces.

In Negril I tend to stay in the west end, around the cliffs. Lots of very nice properties at a fraction of the super club price. Great places to eat and socialize as well, and some fine independent dive operators.

Of course, you have to take responsibility for yourself, act like a grownup, and take sensible precautions. The rewards of shaking off superclub infantilization are endless. You start by doing some preliminary research and developing some understanding of where you are going to be. Act like a fool or a child and people will treat you that way.

I think the thread has taken a wrong turn, the original jist of my thread was about scuba diving, ocho rios and negril and how they were at beaches, sandals

Thanks to all who have helped me :)

I have not dove the Ocho side but have dove Negril side three times in the last 3 years, for a total of about 15 dives. Once in Oct, once in May and once in Dec. December viz was best at about 80' to 100' constantly. Dive depths ranged from 40' to 110'. Best sea life was between 40' and 70'. Water temps were about 80 to 82. I dove a 3mm at every trip.

Saw Eagle Rays, Nurse sharks, green morays, turtles and a plethora of lion fish. The reef is what I would describe as fair. Night dives were great with octo and squid and a good drift dive. Your mileage may vary

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom