Jamaican diving in negril

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gaignstar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
we are going to negril for christmas and I would like to know the water temps during this time of the years. we are staying at the beaches.

what's the best diving operation ?
what kind of wetsuit should I bring ?

thanks in advance

Temp is unbelievable 83F - seasonally, should be about 81. 2 or 3mm shorty or long sleeve, close fitting T-shirts should be good (wear 1 or 2 even). Beaches usually limit their dives to 30mins, so you should be comfortable.

Forgot - scuba diving is included in their 'all inclusive' (no extra cost), just check in with their water sports.

We've been to Negril twice, once in 2003 and more recently in 2008. Stayed at Couples both times. First time, dove with the in-house op, and they were okay, but did one tank in the morning , another in the afternoon (except on Saturday when they do a two-tank morning deal). All dives were included in the resort price. We liked the diving, but really wanted to economize on our time utilization, so in 2008 we went with Sun Divers, so that we could dive like we are used to, two-tanks, six-pack, and a little more freedom on where the diving will be.

We will be going back in 2013, will probably stay at a different resort (non-AI), but will still dive with Sun Divers.

We saw a marked improvement to the reefs and fish populations between 2003 and 2008, due to some local management practices, and are hoping that we see a similar improvement when we return.

Enjoy!

It won't be colder than 81 F even at depth and I always dive in a skin, year round. You will enjoy Beaches (assume you are staying at the one next to Swept Away). Also just to let you know they will let you dive with the Sandals boat in case you know someone there or even just wish to check out the resort. Sandals allows this swapping whereas Couples doesn't allow a swap between Swept Away and Couples Negril.

Enjoy! This is the first Christmas in the last 5 years that I won't be in Negril and it is killing me!

The type of suit you need depends on many things such as how much you weigh, type of suit, how easily you get cold, and how much diving you do. There are many different types of neoprenes, sewing systems, and seals for keeping out the water. As an example, I wear at least a long sleeve 3 mm shortie in Negril in the winter while my girlfriend recently started wearing a 5 mm jumpsuit. She says the new 5mm suit is not as warm as her old 3 mm, which is probably because of the type of neoprene.

Depending on how big you are, I suggest starting out with a shortie and see how it goes from there.

I've spent a lot of time diving in Negril. I've always been comfortable in a full 3mm Quantum Stretch.

As mentioned, Couples Swept away (really quiet, and small resort) has an on-site op, which at the time was good. I've stayed at RIU, but dove with Sundivers.

Sundivers is under new ownership. I've only dove with the new owner on staff during one single week dive. The crew is excellent. In fact, I kept going back to them for my AOW, Master Diver, and Rescue courses. All of which I did with Myron. He's an incredible, and demanding instructor. They will pick you up, and drop you off at whatever resort you stay at, free of charge.

If you want more info on places to eat out of the resorts (you really need to do this), dive sites, and whatnot, just shoot me a PM.

We've been to Negril twice, once in 2003 and more recently in 2008. Stayed at Couples both times. Enjoy!

Couples Swept Away or Couples Negril? We are headed back to our 5th trip to Couples this summer.

Couples Swept Away or Couples Negril? We are headed back to our 5th trip to Couples this summer.

Couples Negril (sorry about that, wife books them, I just show up for the bus). :D

Back
Top Bottom