Jan-Lars Hanz missing off of UAE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jan was a good friend of mine with whom i had dived a number of times.
I would ask that all assumption and speculation is witheld until such time as more details about this horrible accident are made public.

Totally respect that.

With so few diving fatalities in the region, it will be of interest what the true cause was in this case.

Dear Jonny boy ... that's not the way this thread works. Assumption and speculation are encouraged and are eliminated when and as they can be replaced with fact. It may not be an approach that you favor, and I am truly sorry, both for your loss and and for any discomfort that you may suffer, but there are good reasons for doing things this way, not the least of which is that the details that are made public are often way more inventive than any of the assumption and speculation made here.

Thalassamania,

I understand how the thread works - but thanks for the heads-up.
This incident occured less than a week ago, its still fairly fresh and Jan's family are reading this. I will try my level best to ensure that any information that is available is published in due course. This will also save conjecture and asumption. Until then, please be conscious of who is reading.

Best

Jon

We are always conscious of who might be reading. The hope is that the discussion, even when it may not reflect the actual particulars of a given accident, will still yield insightful and helpful observations concerning diving safety and survival in any number of "what if" sort of situations. Testimony from readers of this thread suggests that is the case. We always try to be understanding of relatives and friends, and with each post we remember those whom we too have lost down through the years. Hopefully, in time, we even find out what actually occurred.

So please, put an end to the first round of speculation, what gear was he diving?

I have been talking to various people over the weekend, and apparently there will be a planned search (hopefully) a recovery of the area this week.

A scenario was done at the same site, with another diver simulating what is presumed to have happened. Based on the information gained from the re-enactment, others believe that they are pretty sure where Jan will be.

I hope this is successful for the sake of his family

not speculating on gear in this incident, just responding to the question from Centralis:

this style of SCCR is less forgiving very shallow due to drop in Fraction of O2. If someone is breathing deep mix at the start of the dive, it would not take long up shallow to breath it down to a PPO2 that would not sustain consciousness. My understanding is once deep this is not such an issue, you just have to take it into account for decompression profile and either adjust the mix or the profile accordingly.

I would have thought SCR is more user friendly than CCR with not much electronic to worry about.
But using SCR for 120m dive should involve using couple of travel gases, shouldn't it? Please advice.

Sad news indeed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom