January 2010 Cozumel Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Folise

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Sorry I am late with my report! Picutures to follow later as will be explianed further below.

We arrived in Cozumel December 26, 09 and took ground transportation to Casa Del Mar (cheaper than cab). Stayed until January 1, 2010. First the hotel. Casa del Mar is an excellent value. Rooms are clean and chearful, with a rustic Spanish/Mexican theme that I liked. A bit musty for those with sensitive nosed but understandable for being on the ocean. The hotel is triangular in plan with a fountain in the middle. One vertex points directly to the ocean. Thus, two sides have oblique views of la Mar. The third side has the cheap rooms and faces the jungle. Get the rooms with the ocean view. They are on these two sides overlooking the ocean and the grounds. They are not much more than the standard rooms which are on the third side facing the tennis courts and the jungle. Grouds are well tended, pool is nice after diving, excellent bar, etc..Staff is superb, very friendly, treated us like kings and were patient with my Spanish. We were not on the meal plan but ate some in the resturant. Food bar gets charded to your room so you only need to sign. Food was inexpensive and good + but not quite gourmet. I really recomend not being on the meal plan as there are some good inexpensive retaurants in town and it would be a shame to miss them. Long walk to town (about two easy miles on the sidewalk against the ocean) but with $5.00 cab ride back pleasant in the evening. There are a few sea side bars on the way to town and a close walk from the hotel. Make sure you have dinner Sunday night on the square as there is entertainment and the locals come out for their evening walk. Try the South East side of the town square for restaruants. Fabulous New Years Eve party at the Casa Del Mar pool with buffett (good ++), Mariachi band, DJ, dancing, etc. The Latin ladies got dressed up and it was really a lot of fun. One week room included a car for two days. All in all a good value and we never felt that we were not at a nice place.

Beaches on west side of island are great. Fun waves, not for toddlers but great for teenagers and adults. Water is only chest deep so you really can't swim but body surfing is possible. Go in the early AM. Stop off at the grocery store on the way (Chedrui I believe, a cultural experience in itself!) and get some tamales and drinks for the beach. No one is at the beach in the AM except for the lifegaurds! The tour busses don't come until after lunch and the locals start showing up in the late afternoon after work. Bring your camera.

Did two boat dives with the on site operator Del Mar Aquatics. Enjoyed them both and like everything here reasonably priced. The shop is on the pier across the street from the hotel grounds. The two are connected by a bridge over the road. There are bins to store your gear which can be secured with travel locks (probably unnecessary) so you don't have to bring anything back to your room except your wet suit and camera. Your lock will get full of salt so make sure you rinse it before you leave for home.

One on large boat "The big Splash" one on smaller boat "Splash IV". Both boats are reasonably fast. Set ups are a little different. On the big boat the tanks are behind you on the bench. On the smaller boat the tanks are in holes in the floor on top of the keel. The staff will set up everything for you but will set youset up your own gear if you prefer. Staff is friendly, helpful and safety oriented. No snacks on board (bring your own if you get hungery) but all the bottled water you can drink. Each dive master took time on the way out to talk to each buddy pair individually to get to know them, explain proceedure and size us up. I liked that. As you know the diving is essentially drift diving so getting down in a hurry is important. I lost track of my buddy on one of the descents (I was having some trouble myself) and at the bottom msitakenly followed another diver thinking it was her! Upon discovering my error, I immediately informed the dive master (Renne). He surfaced, confirmed she was back on the boat came back down, explained the situation to me and we compelted our dive. All of this was my fault, my buddy's fault (first dive with a new wet suit we didn't do a surface check-she was underweighted) and I lost track of her. At the end of the dive nobody made me feel bad, letured me, etc. (except my buddy). Interesting dives. One was to Paradisio-large coral columns with swim throughs (no current in here-good for photography), lots of sponges, sea fans and good marine life. Another was to Palancar Bricks, here the current was faster, fewer swim throughs more sea life (sharks, sea bass, sea horses, chromis (sp?) curios goat fish, etc. Photography only possible on the lee side of corals/rock strata. The sea life here seems very comfortable with divers and will allow close approach. Bad news, on that dive I struggled to unclip my slate and inadvertently uncliped my camera (Nikon 5400, Sea & Sea DX 5400 housing, Sea & Sea ys15 auto strobe) instead. Didn't notice it until I surfaced from the safety stop. It is now somewhere on the reef. $150 reward for its return.

Did one night dive from the Casa Del Mar "beach" to the "house reef". Free tanks and lights from Del Mar Aquatics for unlimited shore diving. This dive was better than I expected (didn't expect much) as there were quite a few critters out and about. We did a simple out and back "L" shaped course (first leg out west to a mooring pin, second leg 90 degrees to the north) and made it back right to the entry. The best shore dive here is to the north of the submarine pier ( would have required another 90 degree leg) which will require an inverted "U" shaped course so so make sure your navigation skills are good and carry a back up light (one of ours went dead, yes we had a back up). Also to the left of the entry (south) 20 yards is the "reef" for the adjacent time share and there is pretty good marine life here. this would make and easy and fun orientation dive, just don't expect a Polynesian coral garden and you wont be disapointed.

Also, the hotel has its own beach club further south on the island. The beach here is great (sandy, no rocks) but no waves. OK for snorkleing as there is some marine life here. This is also where the Del Mar boats stop for the surface interval to pick up the second set of tanks. There are restrooms here, a restaraunt and bar, etc.

All in all we had a great time and would return again. I had a chance to check out the Blue Angel (another place we considered) and it looked OK too. It is all on the ocean side of the street but is a little more cramped and probalby noisier than Casa Del Mar. On the other hand, if you are going to be diving every day and just sleeping at night this might be a good option closer (about one mile) to town. It is also a smaller facility.

The Cozumel diving I saw (five dives only) is different than the polynesioan coral garden experience. More current, less extravagant coral, but better sponges, sea fans,etc. and I think the carribean marine life is more varied. Mostly though, if you plan carefully this is a very inexpensive dive vacation by comaprison, probably half the price and a lot more fun being in a foriegn culture. It is hard not to fall in love with these people even when you know they are doing there best to try to rip you off in a street market.

One final thought. Casa Del Mar also has two story "cabanas" with full kitchens, etc. This might make a lot of sense for a family as you could so some of your own cooking (breakfast in particular) and save a lot of money by only going out for dinner. I also just like to have a kitchen/refridgerator with snacks, beer fruit, ice cream, well you get the idea. They didn't seem to be that much more expensive.

Nice report. I liked Casa Del Mar too! Look forward to the pics!

Ouch! Sorry about the camera.

P.S. What other things did I not talk abot that I should have? Thanks

It appears as if you're a relatively new diver so it might be helpful for other newer divers if you were to post more about your experience with the drift diving in Coz.

Thanks for the report!

I am a realtively new diver (in terms of total dives, less than 50) but we have been to Mexico once before so I had some familiarity with drfit diving, also did one in Hawaii (Oahu). If the current isn't too brisk the most important thing to do is get below the surface as quickly as possible (but keep track of your buddy!) where the current is usually less. If you don't get down fairly quickly you will get separated from the group and may even have trouble finding them on the bottom is visibility is poor (it wasn't). If necessary, decend head first and kick. The current is usually much less on the bottom so it is pretty much like a normal dive. Of course, the dive boat is drifting along with you, usually faster because it is on the surface. Thus, you may surface from your safety stop at some distance from the boat if for example you or your buddy need to surface before the rest of the group. You will need a safety sausage and a wistle to signal your boat. In Cozumel there will be three or four other boats in the same area from other operators so make sure you know the name of your boat and what it looks like so you signal the right one! Obviously you have to make a note of it before you step off so do so when you board.

On one of the dives the bottom current was fast, maybe two knots or more. Here you will essetially be "flying" above the reef and ducking behind terrain features to get out of the current and look at stuff, take photo's, etc. Try to stay with your group. To control your velocity change your surface area with respect to the current, more SA you will go fast, less SA and the group will catch up with you. Remember also your attitude with respect to the current will effect your depth. So, if you are facing in the direction of the current flow and you are head down, fins up you will rise; fins down and head up and the current will force you down. This is another way to control "bouyance" as you float along other than with your lungs. One final thought, if you primarily control your bouyancy with your lungs you will have to think ahead as the current is moving you along. Thus, durring the delay from inhaling to acend a bit you will be moving forward towards the coral and you will crash into it if you don't inhale a bit earlier than you normally would. Similarly, if you want to decend behind something you will have to exhale a little early or you will overshoot your mark and be stuck in the current again. This doesn't take long to get used to but it helps if you anticipate a bit.

That is all I can think of. Is this what you were looking for? Anything you can add about drift diving would be appreciated.

Glad to know you have a good time diving with Renee. I've been very pleased diving with him, Mario & Fernando. They have a nice set of DMs at Del Mar Aquatics.

I really can't say enough about how pleasant these people are. I made a lot of mistakes on these dives. For example, on one dive my daughter ran out of air earlier than the rest of us (swimming all over the place, up and down, in and out of stuff while I styed a little shallow to conserve air) so we had to ascend a little earlier than everyon else although I had lots of air left. I didn't undertand the DM's underwater hand instructions to do a "rolling" safety stop, slowly ascending to safety stop depth. My daughter did but I didn't so I forced her, after a protracted underwater argument (hosnestly, I didn't appreciat what she was trying to tell me) to directly ascend with me to safety stop depth. Well, after 3 minutes at 15 fsw I understood what the DM was trying to tell me. We had a significantly different drift velocity from the group on the bottom and surfaced far from the boat which was following the bubbles of the group below. Not a big deal, we just signaled the boat and they came and got us then went back for everybody else. Nevertheless it was an inconvenince for the captian and the DM. No one ever made me feel uncomfortable about that or any of the other mistakes I made (e.g. loosing track of my buddy, poor bouyance control, losing my camera, etc.)

I will say this, if the current is fast drift diving is a little bit of a challenge and taking the PADI course might be a good idea if you are a little thick headed like I am.

That is all I can think of. Is this what you were looking for? Anything you can add about drift diving would be appreciated.

No, that's pretty much it. Many new divers going to Coz for the first time are concerned about drift diving so I though that might be helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom