Japan is pumping nuclear waste water into the ocean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Land Fish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is it still safe to dive in Asia Pacific region??

Lots articles online but overall it seems pretty controversial, and I'd be lying to myself if I said I wasn't worried

What do you guys think?

It's nothing to be scared about. They are planning to release filtered cooling water that has accumulated past the point that they can store any more. They removed the most radioactive particles, leaving only fairly harmless tritium. The amount of tritium Fukushima will release into the water in a year is about 1/500th what the French release into the English Channel every year as byproduct of waste reprocessing, and there has been no ill effects detected from that discharge.

Here is a good science based article on the topic:

….byproduct of waste reprocessing, and there has been no ill effects detected from that discharge.

From a scientific analysis paid for by some French company of some sort.

We are so very short sighted.

Not sure i’d worry about radioactive seawater. Other, more immediate threats? yes. Let our grandchildren suffer from the unstoppable tsunami you’re fretting over.

From a scientific analysis paid for by some French company of some sort.

We are so very short sighted.

Not sure i’d worry about radioactive seawater. Other, more immediate threats? yes. Let our grandchildren suffer from the unstoppable tsunami you’re fretting over.
Snark and conjecture about a very serious topic. Rather than making **** up and fear mongering, maybe read an informative scientific article from a trusted source that has the best interests of the ocean ecosystem in mind.

From Wood's Hole Oceanographic Institution - FAQs: Radiation from Fukushima

Snark and conjecture about a very serious topic. Rather than making **** up and fear mongering,…

It’s called sarcasm, Sheldon.

The water in the current release is treated to remove essentially all radioactive isotopes other than tritium. Tritium is not considered to be especially problematic as it not that dangerous and is quickly diluted to low levels. The US, France, Korea, and China all release more tritium into the sea every year than will be released here and those releases in turn are dwarfed by tritium created by natural processes.

The best source of information on this is the IAEA which had been tasked with reviewing Japan's plans and checking on their testing and procedures. Their most recent report (May 31, 2023) focuses on tests of the treated water made by several labs. This is from the Conclusion:

"Contaminated and ALPS treated water samples collected at FDNPS have been characterised for alpha-emitting radionuclides using radionuclide specific analytical methods in the past. The resulting activity concentrations were <1% of the regulatory limit in all cases. As the screening approach is sufficiently conservative, is implemented to a high quality, and a procedure is in place describing steps to be taken for effective follow up in the event that a pre-stated action limit is exceeded, this approach is considered to be fit for purpose."

Reports at: Reports: Fukushima Daiichi ALPS Treated Water Discharge | IAEA

No major consequences for humans until Godzilla comes ashore looking to punish Tokyo.
That’s probably the least of our worries once SkyNet becomes self aware.

Back
Top Bottom