Jet Fin Spring Straps- Resurrected

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL, I can't see any reason that you need to get the spring strap as long as you replaced it EVERY YEAR, too.

triton94949:
Never had a problem once with my traditional straps on my SP jets. They are easy to adjust, they never break, I replace them each year whether they need it or not, and they stay set to whatever tightness I set them. Cannot see any reason to try anything else.QUOTE]

I have Turtle Fins and would be interested in some spring straps. Anyone willing to make me a pair. PM me for payment or trade options. I have tank rack parts for trade if you are interested. I could build a set of straps, but would prefer to let an experienced DIY in the strap design do it for me. You can check out my tank rack in the DIY section too.

Scott

OK, here's my latest attempt. I'm not very good at DIY and don't own many tools, but I enjoy it anyway.
My last spring straps I just attached directly to the buckles (Turtles) with nothing around the springs at the connection. They worked just fine (except for some kelp trails in Monterey), until I stretched them both out by choosing to believe that I wouldn't need the over-extension line inside the springs. Wrong.
So, this time I added the cave line inside the springs, switched from the clear tubing to the nylon strap tubing, and added the hockey pucks. I spent half a night driving to sporting goods stores not finding the hockey pucks - until someone suggested an ice skating rink. DUH!
The only power tool I used was a hand drill. I cut the puck with a hack saw and sanded with a drill sanding disk (120G).
Anyway, they don't look as professional as many others on this thread, but they dived just fine (you can still see the water drops from last nights dive on the fins).
So if you have limited DIY ability, no expensive tools and lack of confidence, I would encourage you to give it a shot!

willydiver:
Finished my second iteration of the spring strap saga for my Jet fins. WD
It looks good,nice job man :eyebrow:

Rick Inman:
OK, here's my latest attempt. I'm not very good at DIY and don't own many tools, but I enjoy it anyway.

Nice work Rick. Don't those Turtles look proud! Good point on the cave line. If the fins go on snug, at all, it's good to have it to protect those springs.

WD

Just couldn't leave the good old spring straps alone. The tubular nylon spring covers were slipping off my heel. Not really that suprising since nylon webbing is inherently slick. So, I tried something with a little more tack and friction to it. Heater hose from the auto parts store worked great. It is a little stiff, so I marked two lines on the hose, 180 degrees from each other and made slits to the lines at 1" spacings. The hose grips the neoprene on my boots great and it is easy to grab when removing.

Thanks,
WD

willydiver:
Just couldn't leave the good old spring straps alone. The tubular nylon spring covers were slipping off my heel. Not really that suprising since nylon webbing is inherently slick. So, I tried something with a little more tack and friction to it. Heater hose from the auto parts store worked great. It is a little stiff, so I marked two lines on the hose, 180 degrees from each other and made slits to the lines at 1" spacings. The hose grips the neoprene on my boots great and it is easy to grab when removing.

Thanks,
WD
Nice to see the pockets are wet! :D

willydiver:
The tubular nylon spring covers were slipping off my heel. Not really that suprising since nylon webbing is inherently slick.
Wow, first time I've ever heard that one! Been using the nylon for a few years now, and a few buddies use the Halcyon straps.

Are you sure the problem wasn't just the length of the strap? Are you diving wet?
My booties are the higher profile kind, and the soles sticks out a little by the heal. They work fine with my drysuit too.

Cool mod, though!

grunzster:
Wow, first time I've ever heard that one! Been using the nylon for a few years now, and a few buddies use the Halcyon straps.

Are you sure the problem wasn't just the length of the strap? Are you diving wet?
My booties are the higher profile kind, and the soles sticks out a little by the heal. They work fine with my drysuit too.

Cool mod, though!

Grunzster,
Could have been my imagination, too..... I think it was really the deep-rooted urge to not be able to leave these things alone. The Halcyon style looks great. I may have just gotten a different type of tubular nylon that was less suited for the application. Thanks for the props!

Rick, those are fresh out of the drink! No rest for the weary equipment.....

WD

What springs do you use to make these? Total cost in materials? I've been planning on changing my Jets over to spring straps, about $47 is the best deal I've seen. I have no problem making my own, just didn't know where to get the springs nor how they connected inside the delrin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom