Jets and double tank diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i didn't have that problem with large jets going from singles to doubles...

...i had it going from wet to dry. i was kicking like a bumblebee & not making forward motion. xl jets fixed the problem.

Most people in a twinset for first time do head first silt plummets. Are you using the evil abortion aluminium tanks as well which will make things worse or rather saner steel?

Steel lp 72s :D All the threads about twin 72s said they were great. I have yet to hit that sweet spot before I give my 2 cents on the matter.

i didn't have that problem with large jets going from singles to doubles...

...i had it going from wet to dry. i was kicking like a bumblebee & not making forward motion. xl jets fixed the problem.

Babyduck, right now I feel like a bumblebee. Was the foot pocket size difference between the L and XL noticeable?

Going from singles to doubles makes one go slow real fast lol!

It isn't the fins cus I too had the same "issue" when I started doing doubles using my L jets too.

That's why scooters came to the rescue :)

SangP

Was the foot pocket size difference between the L and XL noticeable?

yes, but that was ok since the large's foot pockets were hard to get my drysuit booties out of. the xl are much better. i just kept the l for diving wet.

I despise LP72s. We have two sets of them, and I won't dive them except when NOTHING else is full. I worked for an hour and a half with Bob Sherwood (who has the reputation of being the king of gear balancing) and he finally concluded that I CANNOT trim them out.

To answer your question -- the foot pocket in XL Jets is considerably larger than the one in Ls. The blade is also MUCH bigger. If you have the strength to kick them, you do get much more drive. I have TurboSoles on my suit, so I don't have the option of wearing a heavier boot, so XLs are not possible.

But even with the larger fins, I think you'd find you'd have a hard time keeping up with a diver in a single tank setup. On scooters, you have to run at different speeds to match doubles divers with single tank folks.

I used to dive L Jets. I took a class and my instructor mentioned that I should try out the XL's and see how I liked them. He thought they would give me a bit more power, so I wouldn't have to "work my butt off" to keep up with others. So I decided to give the XL's a try. I hated them at first, but now I love them. However, I don't really notice much difference in my power or ability to swim....I do notice that I feel like I have a more stable platform for hovering.

When I started diving doubles, my first two dives were with buddies who always take their time and I never have problems keeping up with. Of course, on these dives, I felt like I was working so hard and couldn't possible keep up. Turns out, when you change gear (drysuit was the same as well), it takes a few dives to get to know it and for it to start to feel natural. I now no longer feel like it's stressing me to "keep up" with my buddies.

It's likely changing from singles to doubles that you're noticing....and changing from L's to XL's probably won't make much difference until you figure out how to swim efficiently with your doubles.

FWIW, I wear a womens size 7 shoe....the XL Jets have a bigger foot pocket than the L Jets, but not unmanageable, especially if you have a slightly bigger foot than mine. If your drysuit has turbosoles, I recommend thick socks (I wear Thinsulate socks)....if not, I've found that a pair of Chucks work nicely with the foot pocket.

Most people in a twinset for first time do head first silt plummets.

I did that the first time I dove my LP85's, except, I was lucky enough it was feet first to 95 ft in less than 1 min.:shocked2: (luckily I didn't blow my ears out). Made a nice little mushroom cloud on the bottom of the quarry:D.

Something to remember in doubles is: slow is fast, fast is slow.

I use size L jets with a drysuit and much heavier doubles (2x12/232, comparable to HP95's) and propulsion speed is absolutely not an issue. Fins are fine, check your trim.

Trim it is then... will move the rig one more notch down, but will see if I can still work the valves from there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom