@Jim Lapenta’s Retirement & Relevance of his Book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scraps

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
When @Jim Lapenta recently announced his retirement from teaching, I re-read his book Scuba: A Practical Guide for the New Diver.

The second edition is available on Amazon Unlimited, so members can read it for free.

The book, especially the first half where he discusses what’s missing from current OW courses and how to restore what should be there, remains a valuable reference for two groups of divers:

—Instructors who want specific guidance on how to teach the OW course neutral and how to incorporate dive planning and other important topics that get short shrift from on-line courses.

—New divers who might be curious about what they missed in their hastily delivered OW class and how to do remedial work.

I’ve never met Jim, but his book helped me maintain my confidence when I became an instructor to follow my inclination to resist shortcuts and speed-up measures that ultimately short change new students.

He also has a book for advanced training. I haven’t read it, but it is also on Amazon Unlimited.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom