Jim's believe it or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jwood

Contributor
Reaction score
Yesterday while diving one of my favorite wrecks the 135' steamer, a diver on board described a bug at "20" pounds! even after a very agressive re-asking of the dimensions, said diver would only drop his initial estimate to "18" pounds..........its crusher claw was described as from the tip of his fingers to his elbow. I'm either being had or the steamer will be seeing alot more of me....with lots of heavy duty tools......anybody know where to get an under water jack hammer? The wreck was loaded with bugs, very big Tog and loads of ling and some scallops (but I didn't do enough exploring for them, too busy with the buggin'). What a great wreck, can't wait to go back!
I'm trying to get something together next week, drop me a line and we'll see if we can work it out.

DIVE SAFE / DIVE OFTEN

and i thought you were going to say a mermaid swam to the rail and gave you back your speargun.
i guess a 20#'er is a good second. good luck.

the little ones are tastier not to mention that it'll be tough to fit this beast in a pot. maybe a REALLY hot jacuzzi tub?

I understand that there is great big stuff on that wreck. However, I suspect there is something underhanded here. A JERSEY diver telling YOU that there is a 20lb lobsterszilla, and he's not going for it himself??!! Probably narced or jerking your chain. However, if it's not a hallucination, good luck with that bad boy!!

Oh yeah...you better hope you make it back there before Rob does or you'll be SOL! :D

Jwood:
Yesterday while diving one of my favorite wrecks the 135' steamer, a diver on board described a bug at "20" pounds! even after a very agressive re-asking of the dimensions, said diver would only drop his initial estimate to "18" pounds..........its crusher claw was described as from the tip of his fingers to his elbow. I'm either being had or the steamer will be seeing alot more of me....with lots of heavy duty tools......anybody know where to get an under water jack hammer? The wreck was loaded with bugs, very big Tog and loads of ling and some scallops (but I didn't do enough exploring for them, too busy with the buggin'). What a great wreck, can't wait to go back!
I'm trying to get something together next week, drop me a line and we'll see if we can work it out.

DIVE SAFE / DIVE OFTEN
If it's the same one I saw a couple of weeks ago it's at least 20#. And has a friend.

docmartin:
the little ones are tastier not to mention that it'll be tough to fit this beast in a pot. maybe a REALLY hot jacuzzi tub?
Maybe not in a pot, but a few minutes in a broiler should be enough to cook the connective tissues so you can remove the rare meat from the tail. Once you have the meat out, you can filet it (with a very sharp knife, so you get clean cuts) into inch and a half thick steaks and finish them on the grill. You ought to be able to find a large pot that'll hold the claws.

I really doubt anyone eating it will tell you small ones taste better. That's usually a story you hear from folks who've never had a lobster steak on their plate, or who try to cook a large lobster like a small one and end up with rubbery, overcooked meat on the outside, and squishy, undercooked meat on the inside.

Before you take it though, make sure it's a male. A female lobster that big has an enormous breeding capacity due to the number of eggs she'd be able to carry under her tail. It would be a real disservice to a dwindling population to take her out of the gene pool.

Actually if I'm not mistaken.....you can't take females over 3 pounds now only males. and next year I don't think you'll be able to take anything over (~7#) with the new regulations

Back
Top Bottom