Jingle diver, Jingle diver, Jingle all the.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

......but you have to promise to tell me why you believe they are NOT practical (remember that just because you do not use them does not mean they are not practical for divers)........I know that this is technically not a question but there was a very clear request posed to you by me

......Why is a bungee mount NOT PRACTICAL? Why are spring straps NOT PRACTICAL?.......

The above are questions no?

halemanō;5188759:
.......but you didn't really ask me a question. :idk:

Please see the quotes above for clarification.

halemanō;5188759:
If I attacked anything I attacked your typing of "for anybody." I even bolded it the second time (and third time, below) to emphasize what I was attacking. You didn't even type "for any diver" but harping on that would be petty. :shocked2:

Surely there is no need for you to worry about appearing petty.

halemanō;5188759:
I know of many divers other than myself who only use full foot fins; most of those people only own one pair of fins. If someone only dives/owns full foot fins, why would spring straps be practical? Because they are practical for you?

You seem stuck on this notion that only one thing can be practical at a time. Perhaps when you realize that this is not true, you will see the error in your ways.

halemanō;5188759:
I know of many divers who have a console or computer compass. If someone only dives with a reg set or computer that has a built in compass, why would a bungee mount compass be practical? Because it is practical for you?

See previous comment

halemanō;5188759:
I have broken or terminally scratched the face of every watch type item I have ever worn. If wearing something on my wrist has a 100% historical failure rate, why would a bungee mount computer be practical for me? Because it's practical for you?

This is the first thing that even comes close to a suitable response to any question posed in this thread (even though you have only said why you choose to not wear one and not why they are not practical) so I suppose I should probably just accept it. However you have not answered why spring straps are not practical.

halemanō;5188759:
I also debated the OP's SMB statement, because he typed "every person diving in the ocean." :D

I will leave your aversion to safety equipment aside because your position is not really a safe one IMO. I will never tell a diver to set aside and not dive with certain safety equipment such as surface markers because we, as divers just never know what is going to happen. If a diver chooses to do so on their own, that is their choice. It will never be because I told them safety equipment was unnecessary. Safety is more important that childish online discussions.

halemanō;5188759:
Imagine if our conversation had been so brief and congenial? :coffee:

You get what you give my "friend".

At the risk of stepping into what appears to be a burgeoning flamewar...
When did anybody say there was only ONE practical answer? Full foot fins may be practical for you. Bravo. How does that prevent spring straps from ALSO being practical, if and when you buy/find/borrow/steal/have forced upon you a pair of open fins?

This has been stated clearly several times but yours will likely get through since he seems to have some issues with me :idk:.

At the risk of stepping into what appears to be a burgeoning flamewar...
When did anybody say there was only ONE practical answer? Full foot fins may be practical for you. Bravo. How does that prevent spring straps from ALSO being practical, if and when you buy/find/borrow/steal/have forced upon you a pair of open fins?

I never said spring straps are not practical for ScubaSteve, or any other diver who thinks they are practical; I am saying his use of the modifier "for anybody" is incorrect. By using the modifier "for anybody" ScubaSteve seems to be violating the intent of your first question. :idk:

I own 2 pair of open heel fins. I used them for over a thousand dives each. IMHO, the stock straps worked great; I can put them on fast in overhead+ surf holding two scooters and a camera, the wide strap spreads out the contact area so the force is not concentrated into a thin line across the heel and they are not as negatively buoyant as spring straps. Why would it be practical for me to spend money on something that does not make diving better for me? :shakehead:

ScubaSteve:
......but you have to promise to tell me why you believe they are NOT practical (remember that just because you do not use them does not mean they are not practical for divers)........I know that this is technically not a question but there was a very clear request posed to you by me

I never said I believe spring straps are not practical "for divers." I questioned your use of the modifier "for anybody." Can you not see that since there are divers who only use full foot fins, your use of the modifier "for anybody" could be questioned (even when followed by IMO)?

On another occasion, when heading to the Oriskany from another site due South, we picked up a tech diver who had been blown off the "O" after having to do his deco stop mid column, with nothing to tie on to. I can assure you that we would have never seen him without noticing his SMB.

I will leave your aversion to safety equipment aside because your position is not really a safe one IMO. I will never tell a diver to set aside and not dive with certain safety equipment such as surface markers because we, as divers just never know what is going to happen. If a diver chooses to do so on their own, that is their choice. It will never be because I told them safety equipment was unnecessary. Safety is more important that childish online discussions.

I questioned a statement that said it is practical for every diver on every ocean dive to have an SMB. I never said divers who are of the opinion they need an SMB on every ocean dive are wrong.

I just did a yahoo search for USS Oriskany diving and the first "hit" was a boat that requires SMB for every diver. Are there any Oriskany boats that do not require an SMB for every diver? For a dive like that SMB's are more than practical, they are required.

Here off Maui and Lanai there are a number of live boat drift dives where the guide carries an SMB, as well as dives from moorings that have current issues "IF" you don't listen to the briefing and "IF" you don't follow the guide. Charter boat diving in Hawaii is guided, but "IF" you chose to not listen to the briefing and "IF" you chose to risk never diving with that operator again by not following the guide, it would be practical to have an SMB. AFAIK, there are no Maui / Lanai boat dive trips that require every diver to have an SMB.

I know Lahaina Divers requires that every diver have an SMB for Molokai diving. I would not be surprised to hear that Kauai operators who dive Ni'ihau require every diver use SMB on those dives and there may be sites off the Big Island with similar operator requirements, but all these required SMB use charters probably have ~$5 rental SMB's for divers who don't own an SMB.

Charter operators in Hawaii are subject to the same litigious cliental that the Oriskany charters are subject to. If they needed to cover their A$$ by requiring an SMB for every diver on every dive they would. If a diver choses to use their own SMB, no one is going to try and talk them out of it.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom