Jobs in Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Universal Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey all,

Currently I live in Japan but have become quite miserable living here after ten years. My wife has told me that if I want to move out of Japan, it must be either Guam or Hawaii. Well, that's a no brainer!

I'm curious about information about dive shops in Oahu to work for. If anyone has any information on any websites to check or actual dive shops that are looking for an OWSI, I would be very thankful to hear from you.

Any hoo, thanks for everything.

Chris

Pretty tough state to make enought money at a dive shop to live. People do it but I don't know how. Good luck!

true, you just have to love it and be willing not to have time to do anything else but dive (no money to do anything else anyway....lol)

I'm not looking to get rich. Just keep diving and keep my instructor skills and knowledge up to date. I don't intend on it becoming my livelyhood. I actually live in Japan with a very flexible job and could actually go to Hawaii for the busy periods and then head back to Japan.

I'm sure I could find something in the future to actually support my family with if I actually moved to Hawaii.

Chris

I'm sure you could......as said, just check out all the shops, somebody is usually looking. Good luck! and hope to see you here :D

The Maui Dive Shop advertises in the trade magazines every month.

Dude, with bi-lingual skills, finding a decent gig would be no prob, and I'm not talking about just in the diving industry. A couple of shops here on Oahu seem to cater exclusively to the Japanese market; Sunshine Scuba and Breeze Hawaii. The Korean and Chinese markets are also picking up. Doko ni sunde imasu ka? Or is it; Doko kara desu ka? Something like that or did I just totally butcher it and ask you to do disgusting things to yourself?

I haden't thought about that! There is a huge market for bilingual people, add that to dive inst and Ya might just be able to scratch out a living. Good luck!

Well good luck in Hawaii. I was on Oahu for 20 years and made a lot of money in the dive business on both the haoles and Japanese side. I don't know about catering to any burgeoning Chinese or Korean dive markets though.

I was always amazed at the volume of resumes that I got every month. I made more money as a boat captain than I did as an instructor. Tough way to live on Oahu.
I can see how you'd get a little burned out on Japan living up there in the Yokohama area. I always did like southern Japan from Kagoshima through Nagasaki and up into Bepppu and Sasebo.

Back
Top Bottom