Jobs in Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I kind of jumped out of this thread for a while. I've been working a lot of overtime to compensate for my trip to Hawaii. Glad to see some people can understand my situation.

About being bilingual, I wish I could say I was fluent in two languages but I'm not. I really need to brush up on my Japanese skills since all I ever do is teach English.

I'll be going to Hawaii at the end of February and have been researching tons of dive shops. I just wish I had time to check them all out.

Chris

I read your messages concerning diving jobs in Hawaii. What kind of luck did you have? I am working on my boat captains ticket and will follow that with my instructor cert from PADI. Are my dreams not reality?

jeffkrismaui,

First, welcome to ScubaBoard! I can't say I've had any luck because I haven't moved there yet. I checked some of the dive shops when I went there last February just to get a feel for the dive community there. Next, I will definately be checking with Matthew J. Zimmerman when I get there! It's good information to know.

Since you are going to load yourself up with certs, boat and instructor, you become a valuable commodity in the diving world. I certainly do not have a captains license so if you were a dive shop owner, who would you hire if you were lust looking at resume's. A boat captain/instructor or just an instructor. You never know when you will need a boat captain.

Don't lose faith. Anything is possible! If you love diving, it will happen. If you are good, you will find a job. Maybe you'll never be rich but you'll have a nice life.

Chris

jeffkrismaui:
I read your messages concerning diving jobs in Hawaii. What kind of luck did you have? I am working on my boat captains ticket and will follow that with my instructor cert from PADI. Are my dreams not reality?
Unfortunately a captain's ticket won't help you in Hawaii, most shops do not have their own boat, but rely on the same charters. Don't get me wrong however, your liscence won't hurt.

Well I guess I can only do what I can do. And make my move with as much money to live on as I can. Maybe I will have to supplement my diving problem with some other income. But I will be checking with Matthew as well.

Most of the operators on the Big Island do own their own boats so having a captain's license is a huge benefit. For those dive ops that have nice retail shops (Jack's Diving Locker, for example), there are often jobs in retail/reservations. I know it is probably your preference to be working on or in the ocean...but rworking etail in a shop might be worth considering to get your foot in the door. It will really vary with each dive operator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom