Joe Clarks Quarry Navigation course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry for the percieved insult, I kinda had my heart set on a project that I wanted to see successful. I will take ownership to the fact I should not have had them placed on the platform, Once I saw the video of it I kinda thought it may be a problem as I asked another diver to place them for me.

My intent was purely that of making it more of a learning enviorment for everyone and not seem as if I was showing favor to one dive shop or another. Being that I was a student earlier this year, I was hoping to make all the instructors jobs easier for teaching navigation without having students like I did prarie dog as much for bearings and such. I will gladly make laminated copies of navigation course for future students and will post the map on fallingrockpark.com for all to use as they see fit.

Guys,

Nobody owns anything out at FRP except for Joe. Everything out there is a donation to the quarry, period! Considering the nearest salt water is 12 hrs away and GL are 5 hrs away, we try to make it the best LOCAL site available. There has been the threat of FRP closing in the past and these situations don't make things any better. If you want to put a navigation course out there, go for it. We thank you for taking the time to add to the quarry. I don’t know who the conflict is between nor do I care. I do agree with one point that whatever you place out there, make sure it isn’t a hazard to other divers. I've added many items to the quarry but I can’t find half of them anymore because divers keep moving things around which drives me nuts but oh well. By the way, does anyone know where the gargoyles are now? We are talking about fixing up the LDC shelter because it is deteriorating to the point of being a hazard.

Best,

Dwight

If we go to fix LDC's shelter, count me in, I'll bring my generator and some tools and some spare lumber I even have a huge box of wood screws left over from building my deck I can donate as well.

I would still love to see a nav course out at FRP, my idea fell through since items tend to navigate themselves around the quarry. Using fixed non-moveable objects are a great idea for posting nav points and distances. We just need to go back and re-think a way of coming up with a fixed course that can not be moved around by some idiots that dive out there.

Joel,

I'll definitely let you know when we plan to work on the shelter. It will probably be sometime late winter/early spring.

Chris,

A nav course is a great idea. Maybe just keep it simple and include only the big items that divers can't move. My schedule is kind of hectic but I'd be willing to help out.

Dwight

I've got the tools, maybe we need to get one of those 4x4 cinder blocks to place the sign on as a starting point, of if we can place the starting point at a major item somhow, I was looking at the police car this past weekend trying to figure out where I would place a sign in the future if we decided to do so. I agree that we need to keep the nav course simple and major ( heavy non-movable) items only. I would like to see a Triangle or even a square course, using itmes like,

Police Car, New Yorker, Telephone booth I realize that is a long way, but would difinately test your skills. I also wanted to keep the items we choose fairly shallow due to temps.

I'm still up for anything the Dive Community would welcome and lesson from last time, we would need more divers helping, I did not bring my gear the first time and I wish I had. We would need at least 2 divers per course item to make it smooth for placing, as I do not engrave the bearings until we can confirm, right before placing them. I would be willing to purchase some cement pillars like mentioned above if we feel that would work. If we want too, I can create a new thread on fallingrockpark.com so we can organize further if needed, or keep it here, either way. I know a few dive shops are using the FRP website to show potiential dive students how to get there, what it looks like and such. I'm glad its beneficial as I hope the nav course can be.

Leave only bubbles, Kill only time, Take only pictures....

I am willing to work on the nav course as well as the shelter. Only thing is that I am not local.

I posted on the "on going chit chat" thread and so far nobody wants to dive. The only date that I can't dive is 10/27.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom