Joined the Canon family- what other lens and ports to get as a beginner to SLRs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben Prusinski

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
After trying Nikon and Olympus and then Canon, I sent back the others and bought a new Canon EOS 5D Mark III camera! I love it and now looking at lens to get for it. So far, I bought a Nauticam housing which I really like even though Subal and Seacam are very nice but not widely available yet for either Canon or Nikon. So what I have is this:

Canon EOS 5D Mark III camera
Nauticam housing
Nauticam 8.5" acrylic dome port
Nauticam Compact port
Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG lens- fisheye
Sigma 50mm Macro EX DG F 2.8 Lens
Dual Sea & Sea YS-D1 strobes

This was an expensive investment but I am dead serious on diving and photography so long term I wanted gear I can use for 10 years and grow with. Plus I can shoot nice video and later on when someone comes out with a full frame 500 MP camera add this one as most experienced underwater photographers have a couple systems for primary and backup work.

If you are looking for lens advice, a 50 mm macro isn't much magnification on a full-frame setup. You might want to try stepping up to something like Canon's 100mm macro for a start.

I haven't looked it up, but if memory serves me correct (which sometimes it does) that 50mm macro isn't a true macro lens. I think it only gets you to 1:2 unless you use a special filter. As above, I'd look into the canon 100, or if you have any $$$ left after buying all that other stuff, the 100mm L series macro with IS.

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens 3554B002 B&H Photo Video

edit: oh and I just looked it up and my memory failed me. haha. It's the CANON 50mm macro that can only go to 1:2, the sigma will do 1:1 macro. But again, go for the 100mm. The longer focal lenth will allow you to stay a bit farther from the subject so you won't scare them off as easily. Both above and under the water.

I use Nikon gear and shoot DX and not full frame.

You might want to add a 105 macro (I know Nikon makes one and Nikon and Canon are pretty similar in macros). It will give you 1:1 or actual macro. Also, you can use a wet diopter with it to shoot super macro. On my last trip, I was shooting a 60 mm macro (Nikon) and ran across some blennies peering out of their holes. They were tiny. I think their heads must have been between pencil eraser size to the head of a safety match. Super macro would have worked really well on that kind of subject. Also, I have found that my 60 mm macro does not give me the "standoff" range to shoot certain tube worms and some of the other shy critters.

You might think of getting a high quality mid range zoom. A zoom can be really handy for shooting a variety of subjects. It is good for when you want to be a bit opportunistic.

What you shoot will end up being determined by what sort of subjects you like to shoot. I mean, if you love shooting wrecks, I would imagine that your fisheye lens would be your go to lens. If you love shooting tiny blennies, then a 100 mm macro with diopters would be your most used option.

I think that your sigma macro lens should be just fine for a while. The Canon 100 is a great lens but can be tough to get used to. Both the sigma and the Canon shoot 1:1 and depending on where you shoot (how clear is the water) then you might think about the 100. I would definitely add a couple of things. One is a focus light (it will make a big difference). How are you triggering the strobes? What sync cord setup do you have, just the standard Nikonos? Get a spare sync cord as well and call DAN or State Farm and make sure you have good insurance.
Bill

I have manual strobes since unfortunately the Canon 5D Mark III does not have built in flash so cannot use TTL feature. For the sync cords, I have Sea&Sea cords that plug into the Nauticam housing. Will look into a focus light and the 100mm macro lens. I just added the gear to my DAN insurance and will also add to my State Farm insurance. Still lots to learn in terms of the housing and gear controls as its pretty complex with O-Rings and ports galore everwhere! The nice thing about the Nauticam housing is they include spare O-rings and tools. Just wish they included a how-to user manual as well.

I have manual strobes since unfortunately the Canon 5D Mark III does not have built in flash so cannot use TTL feature. For the sync cords, I have Sea&Sea cords that plug into the Nauticam housing. Will look into a focus light and the 100mm macro lens. I just added the gear to my DAN insurance and will also add to my State Farm insurance. Still lots to learn in terms of the housing and gear controls as its pretty complex with O-Rings and ports galore everwhere! The nice thing about the Nauticam housing is they include spare O-rings and tools. Just wish they included a how-to user manual as well.

Hmmm, my Nauticam housing has a manual. You might check the Nauticam web site because I misplaced my manual on a trip and was able to download it and print it off of my computer.

I really do not think that going manual is really a hindrance. I found (with my point and shoot) that TTL could easily misread. So it is often better to set it manual and adjust based on the fly based on your playback of the photo and histogram.

No need to have two insurance policies on the same stuff. State Farm has individual policies for underwater gear (do a search) and if you can get it (not as part of your homeowners) it is a bit better than Dan (covers if you lost it overboard for example) and can be a tiny bit cheaper. In a few weeks you will be able to run your strobes fiber optically with a bit from Nauticam, if you want to do it now triggerfish sells a mini LED that plugs into your hotshot and works great.
Bill

Ok so I contacted Nauticam support after no luck with speaking to Backscatter about the manuals for the housing with Canon 5D Mark III camera. Nauticam sent me the link to the manuals. I tested the new gear out at Channel Islands and still have issues getting the strobes to fire correctly in manual mode since TTL is not supported or recommended by Nauticam with the Canon. I was able to take a few nice pics but lots of duds which is expected with learning new gear.

Back
Top Bottom