Jolie Ann Johnson

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich Poorman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone have information on a recent diver death at Bonaire? A well-known local (Medford, OR) woman, Jolie Ann Johnson, died in an apparent scuba accident sometime in early February. Local reports are sketchy. This woman was a well-known community leader, with many friends and admirers, and I have contacted the newspaper reporter to tell him I would inquire on ScubaBoard for details.

Thanks, Kathy. I have read that article and am in contact with the reporter, who has asked me to inquire on ScubaBoard seeking details.

Thanks, Kathy. I have read that article and am in contact with the reporter, who has asked me to inquire on ScubaBoard seeking details.

Have you heard any more details about her death? I don't mean to be intrusive. I am saddened by any accidental death and especially a scuba death, but as I am getting older I am seeing more scuba related fatalities among older divers. I want to keep diving but I also want to be aware of the risks.

It appears that she was a vibrant, healthy, active woman so how could this tragedy happen?

Last edited:
That's what we're trying to figure out. The Bonaire authorities are investigating, and say only that she "became unconscious while diving" according the reporter in Medford.

I have no personal knowledge of the incident, but noticed that there have been a couple posts in the past week or so on TripAdvisor that keep getting taken down saying that her tank ran out of air. I hope that isn't true. My condolences to everyone that knew her.

That's what we're trying to figure out. The Bonaire authorities are investigating, and say only that she "became unconscious while diving" according the reporter in Medford.

I have no personal knowledge of the incident, but noticed that there have been a couple posts in the past week or so on TripAdvisor that keep getting taken down saying that her tank ran out of air. I hope that isn't true. My condolences to everyone that knew her.

Just speculating here but I would think that "running out of air" would be less dangerous in Bonaire than in many other places because you are usually very close to the shore when diving. If that was the problem then all I can think is perhaps she came up dangerously fast because of low air and developed an embolism.

The sister of Jolie Johnson has been posting requests for information on facebook:

"If anyone know anything of what happened to my sister please contact me 601-462-9133. I appreciate no calls from anyone else just someone who knows something about my sisters death in Bonaire. No prank calls please. If you catch wind of an autopsy done supposedly out of Holland please let me know so I can share it with my siblings. Thank you...

I want to know and so do my siblings what happened to Jolie. What did the autopsy say if there was one. Why is this a hush hush. How in the hell do you jump in water and then just die? ...Im breaking my silence and I am calling the rest of the family to let them know exactly what I am saying. MT* keep up the good work please keep digging deeper and deeper because my sister was healthy and believed in being healthy...

...Jolie is my sister and till this very day we dont know what really happened to her... We the family are in the blind so I dont care what anyone says about how disappointed they are about John Darling writing this article! I am glad that he did! I want to know what happened to my sister..."

*MT = Mail Tribune?

Last edited:
Thanks Kathy. I received several private messages from the sister in a similar vein. We may never know exactly what happened. Sad, so sad.

Back
Top Bottom