jr.diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadrew

Reaction score
I'm a junior diver and i just wondred when do I become not a junior diver? It's really ticked me off that I can only go to 40ft. Some of the best diving is alot deeper.:wink:

I can only tell you what NAUI's policy is on Junior Certification.

"To remove the Junior card's conditional requirements, a new card must be requested by an active-status NAUI instructor once the Junior diver attains the age required for full certification."

With NAUI once you turn 15 you can contact an instructor and have them request a "regular" card for you.

The conditions of NAUI's junior certification include:
* Junior diver and his/her parents agree that the junior diver will dive with a certified adult (18 or over) selected by the parents or guardian
* Junior diver will limit diving to 60 feet or less
* Parent or guardian agrees to be responsible for the selection of the certified adult buddy and the limitation of diving depth.

Don't know if this helps but it will give you an idea.
Ber :bunny:

Okay sweetheart, slow it down you want to live to be an old fart like myself, only in better shape. I can presume that you were desinated "Jr." due to your age. That means your bones are still growing. Which also means you're gonna store more nitrogen in your bones. Which further means when you get older, like past 25, you can start to have problems with your bones. Now you don't want to end up gimping around like the rest of us do you? Let me tell you when that bod of yours quits, and beleave me it will QUIT, it will come as one heck of a surprise. Take this time to get lots of dives logged under the depth limit. You could be a better diver at 21 than most of us are at 50. You're the future of diving, not old wrecks like me. Hey, I may be slow but I'll get there:wink:

Eventually you will get there, but for now enjoy your diving and get in as much diving as you can where there is great stuff to see shallower than 40ft.

Ber Rabbit already gave you the answer from the NAUI perspective, and its probably quite similar for many agencies. Here it is from the PADI perspective:

PADI Jr Open Water Divers have restrictions based upon age:
  • 10-11 year olds must dive only with a certified parent or a PADI professional (divemaster or instructor) to a maximum depth of 40ft.
  • 12-14 may dive with any certified adult buddy to a maximum depth of 60ft. Depth limit is 70ft for those who have completed the deep dive of their Jr AOW.
  • 15+ may dive with any certified diver age 15 and older. Depth limits are inaccordance with training to a maximum depth of 130ft for recreational diving.
At age 15, you may request a replacement card at a PADI dive center. Then you can get a card without the Jr designation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom