Julie Lynne Cannon Ballard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
From http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52687801-78/ballard-according-daily-news.html.csp
A North Salt Lake woman died Saturday while scuba diving off the coast of Palm Beach, Fla.

Julie Lynne Cannon Ballard, 56, was on a dive to get her certification as a scuba diver when something went wrong about 60 feet under the ocean, the Palm Beach Daily News reported Thursday.

Ballard, her dive instructor and the owner/operator of the commercial boat, dove to the ocean floor about 2 p.m. Saturday, according to the Daily News.

Everything was going well until one of the people in the group said she noticed Ballard’s regulator was out of her mouth, the newspaper reported.

First aid efforts followed once Ballard was brought up to the boat. She was pronounced dead at St. Mary’s Medical Center, according to the Daily News.

Authorities were quoted as saying foul play was not suspected.

Ballard worked in the area of newborn and pediatric respiratory care for more than 30 years, according to an obituary published by Memorial Mortuaries and Cemeteries.

"She has been recognized for her work in changing the way respiratory therapists care for patients with bronchiolitis," the obituary states. "Her outcomes have been reported nationally and have been embraced by respiratory therapists around the world."

Family members said Ballard passed away peacefully while doing something she loved, according to the obituary.

Kinda wondered how long it would be before this was posted, it would be interesting to know more of the details behind this fatality. My thoughts go out to the family, boat staff, and instructor in sorting this out.

Y'know, one can complain about something on every dive.

The fact is, if the Lord calls your name, you go. In this case, what a lovely way to spend your last moments.

So sorry for the Dive Op folks . . . this is never easy. :hugs:

My sympathies to the family.

My heart goes out to her family and to the crew. I do have a question for everyone. When I was OW certified, it was my understanding that OW students were not allowed to complete their training from a boat. Am I wrong about this? Is it ok for Instructors to take OW students on a boat before they complete thier course?

Thank you for your time,

Hey..lovely post. Thanks.

Thanks for such the heart-felt and detailed post. My sympathies to everyone involved. I have dove on Sandy's Sunday and concur Capt Sandy & crew are a top-notch op.

Julie Ballard was a very nice woman that has done alot in her profession for others, and has left behind a large family that I am sure will miss her dearly. My crew and I sent out our sympathy to her family and friends for their loss, as well to the instructor that had become close to her. Mrs Ballard was conducting her final dives onboard our boat on Saturday, she came to us with her instructor from the Orlando area. Mrs Ballard had a non-dive related medical emergency that unfortunately did claim her life. Mrs Ballard was on the bottom for less than five minutes at a depth of 56 ft and until her emergency she was enjoying a Hawksbill Turtle. All efforts were made to save her life, and I thank the USCG, Sheriff Dept, Palm Beach Police and Towboat US for responding so quickly to our location. In addition to EMS responders the dive boats Sirena (Pura Vida Divers), Deep Obsession (JASA), and Narcosis for assisting us by keeping a eye on our remaining divers, and bringing them back in to our dock.

CPR was started immediately, and a defibrillator was utilized within minutes, but when the machine was attached and we were ready to shock, the machine advised. "no shock". A total of nine EMS medics boarded our boat and worked on Mrs Ballard until we arrived at the marina. It was later relayed to us, that Mrs Ballard had most likely suffered a Anurisium and that had died instantly. Her husband remained by her side the entire time and was very strong and brave. Mrs Ballard was holding her instructors hand at the time the event accurred, and she never seemed scared or showed any signs of panic, she simply went limp.

I decided to cancel our trips for Sunday due to the fact that I wanted to give my crew time to process everything they had witnessed and been through. This was the first incident we've had on our boat, and I am very proud of how my crew handled themselves. We were diving on Flower Garden reef, and at some point in the future, the family plans on returning to put flowers out

Love you guys. Thank you for everything Sandy. Your crew was perfect in handling it and I have never felt more safe than on your boat. As do the many of my graduates who continue to dive with you long after their training is complete. I pray there is never another situation where any rescue is ever needed but if it was and I was the victim and had a choice in who to help me, I would choose you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom