Juliet trip report (Page one)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChristineH:
One question, is there anything you didn't bring with you that you wish you would have when staying on a live aboard? This will be my first time. Thanks.
Unfortunately, I am one of those benighted souls who has to bring EVERYTHING with him that he possibly might need, so I am a poor choice to ask this question of. I am sure that I could get by with a good deal less, BUT- I was able to repair a fin strap for one of my fellow divers with my save-a-dive kit, and my rather comprehensive first aid kit came in handy for blisters and such, and (but you get the idea.) I guess that as long as the airlines don't make it too onerous for me to drag my stuff with me, and as long as my cases have wheels on them, that I will keep on preparing for most eventualities. One note- you do NOT need a lot of clothes. We both used about 4-5 bathing suits (which we rotated during the day so we were always wearing something dry, and a batch of T shirts. (I changed shirts about once a day) Other than traveling clothes, that is about all you will need. You might say that dress is rather informal. I also brought a couple of big towels, although they do provide you with a couple of standard ones. I guess I just like those big fluffy ones, and they pack easy.
One thing I didn't think of- you might benefit from some high strength spring clips for pinning your towels/skins/wetsuits etc. up to dry. They have some spring clothespins, but I never trust those things, especially when we are underway and the wind is blowing. You can get these at Menards, Home Depot, etc. They are used for small wood clamping projects and such. I could have used a half dozen or so of these, as there is no dedicated hanging area for drying things, and you are reduced to tying things to the railings, etc. I hope this helps you. PM me if I can be of any further help. Woody

I've got to say that John Beltramo really earned my respect with his message. Overseeing extra dives, and having to squeeze the rest of the boat's work, including sailing, into the surface intervals is a lot of work for a small crew. Small dive boat crews, from what I've seen, work pretty hard at baseline.

Getting back to the original trip report: well done! Thanks for all the details.

Well I'm leaving Friday, so I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Just got back. Trip was fantastic! Was a short trip. Capt John gave us the option of doing 5 dives, and we did so all but the last day. The cook is amazing. Be sure to ask to dive the Bull Pen!

scubapolly:
Just got back. Trip was fantastic! Was a short trip. Capt John gave us the option of doing 5 dives, and we did so all but the last day. The cook is amazing. Be sure to ask to dive the Bull Pen!

Hey! Don't be mean! Tell us more please. Any advice for those of us going next week? How was the crossing over to Bimini?

I'm dying here....help a girl out :D

Yeah! Details please! :D

Crossing was super smooth- actually too smooth, there wasn't enough wind to mess with the sails.

Krispy Cream is a site not to miss- just a great reef in general. Also Bull Pen- filled with sharks.

They gave all of us water bottles on the boat, I had brought my own, so that is one thing I didn't need to pack. As always brought too many clothes. Didn't wear shoes the whole trip.

The food was fantastic- pack clothes with elastic waist bands.

scubapolly:
They gave all of us water bottles on the boat, I had brought my own, so that is one thing I didn't need to pack.
Yeah, I forgot about the water bottles. They have spillproof spouts on them, and I would usually empty a Sprite into mine and then lug it up on deck for a little lounging. Man, life is tough, ain't it? I guess I forgot because nearly every liveaboard I have been on has done something like this. I am starting to build a collection of these things now. I think the one from the CatPplau was the best, however, IMHO. Woody

Water bottles make sense. Would help keep the cans or bottles from falling into the ocean (by accident or on purpose) and keeps the deck clear of hazards that might cut someone.

Thanks for mentioning that. I was going to pack a couple.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom