Trip Report - The Junk Liveaboard - Apr 2024 - Similan and Surin Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This was my first liveaboard, and I think The Junk and Thailand is a great choice for a first liveaboard.

Great experience and customer service, everything was handled smoothly from start to end. All the crew members are very friendly and helpful. The food was also very delicious, usually Thai food or Western style food is served and I find them all delicious. There's always plenty of snacks and fruits available, they also serve drinks after every dive for you to hydrate.

Main deck has the dining room (and also charging room), and the outside area where there's a main table & benches, plus the diving preparation area which felt spacious enough. Their nitrox is always on point at 31%.

The Junk takes safety as a main priority. Dive departs from a zodiac so it was back roll entry, which I prefer. The Dive Guide would help at spotting marine creatures. It was also my first time with my new Olympus TG-7, I included some pics below.

Dive sites: Anita's Reef, Stonehenge, Three Trees, Turtle Rock, Koh Bon West Ridge, Koh Bon North Ridge, Tachai, Ao Packard Bay, Tornla Reef, Richelieu Rock, Boonsung Wreck, T-13 Wreck

The highlight was Richelieu Rock but unfortunately, Richelieu Rock was not at its best due to El Nino. Visibility there was bad but we still had a great time and the glassfish at Richelieu Rock was an amazing sight. Unfortunately we did not see whale shark, but we understand it's nature & never guaranteed. On the bright side, we saw an eagle ray!

Overall, I enjoyed my first liveaboard and would recommend The Junk.

Attachments

• P5041092.JPG
    P5041092.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 12
  • P5020539.JPG
    P5020539.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 14
  • P5041089.JPG
    P5041089.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 10
How do you have any basis to judge liveaboards, either boats, crews, food, or any thing else when you've only been on one 🤔

How do you have any basis to judge liveaboards, either boats, crews, food, or any thing else when you've only been on one 🤔
LOL.
At the end of the days the OP enjoyed his first LoB. PERIOD.

You ought to look at the reviews of The Junk!!!

That was 7 yrs ago.

You are just plain jealous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom