July 04 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pasley

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Date:
Dive Location:
Time:
Bottom Time:
Max Depth:
Vis:
Wave height:
Temp at depth:
Surface Temp:
Tide information:
Comments:

Date:July 1
Dive Location:Crescent Bay (North)
Time:Approx 8:30
Bottom Time:54 min
Max Depth:43'
Vis:10-15
Wave height:1-2
Temp at depth:68 degrees?
Surface Temp:68
Tide information:High at about 11:00 am
Comments:Really flat conditions, almost as nice as Fathers Day, but not as good vis'. Chris and I did some skills and explored the shallow reef around Seal Rock. Saw a small sheep crab and some Round Stingrays. Vis in the shallows around the shore was a good 25'.

Date: 03 July 04
Dive Location: Point Dume & Leo Carrillo
Time:10:30
Bottom Time:
Max Depth:
Vis: 10-15 or less
Wave height: 1-2 ft
Temp at depth:
Surface Temp:
Tide information:
Comments:
Arrived at Point Dume our intended dive spot only to find the "A Day at the Beach" event with 5,000 people exibiting their "pride" expected to attend going on. There was no parking closer than the first restroom and that is a long walk from the point. Then at the far end of the lot, where we normally enter is where they had the tents and event set up so there would have been a long walk along the beach in addition to the 548 yard swim. We decided to let the "group" have the beach and go to Leo Carrillo. No refunds on the $7.00 parking fee were given. Sean, who had driven all the way from San Diego just for Point Dume was very disappointed not to be diving there.

At Leo Carrillo paid the now $10.00 parking charge and suited up. We swam out and dropped down. I noticed my mask immediatly flooded and when cleared, reflooded. I aborded and surfaced to see what the *&%$ was going on. The skirt of my mask had come out from behind the lense. No diving for me. I left the five divers to carry on and returned to the beach. The remaining divers reported 10 feet or less visibility with an ocassional flirting of 15 feet beyound the kelp.

Retuned to home and got my tank topped off. My LDS was able to repair the mask and now I am ready to dive again.

Date: Jul 03 2004
Dive Location: Catalina (Ship rock and Sea Fan grotto)
Time: 10:06am
Bottom Time: 35
Max Depth: 69
Vis: 40+
Wave height: 1-2
Temp at depth: 64
Surface Temp: 64
Tide information:
Comments:

First ocean dive with the new drysuit and I was a mess on this dive. The viz was incredible but I was too busy fiddling with the drysuit to be able to enjoy it. Glad there was some kelp there for me to grab on to before I ended up in a runaway ascent! Guess I was putting too much air in the suit and it was not able to vent it fast enough. Those who say use your suit for warmth and your BC for buoyancy have it right. Drysuits dump air alot slower than a BC does. Went back down to 65 to try and do a slow, controlled ascent and was able to properly vent the suit and ascend without Mr. Suunto Cobra beeping at me.

Lesson learned: put as little air as possible in the suit and make sure the darn exhaust vent is open all the way when you ascend.

I did three more dives over at Sea Fan grotto and enjoyed the wall diving over there and got more acclimated to the suit. After the 3rd dive, I felt alot more comfortable and was starting to get the hang of it.

I think I'm going to like the drysuit thing. Easier to take off than my wetsuit and much warmer. The only downside is surface swims are ALOT harder and 10 more lbs of lead, which hopefully I can get rid of some of it with some more experience.

Here are a few pictures I took at Leo Carrillo. It was nice meeting Steve and Scott, and seeing Arnaud, Anna and Melvin again. The dive site was interesting with lots of kelp and rocks surrounded by sandy areas. We saw several different fish and many sheep crabs.

Have a happy 4th!

Sean

There is no better way to start your Independence Day than with two nice dives with good friends.

Here are the vitals:
Pictures at http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/photogalleries.php?s=5734

Dive One:
Somewhere NEAR the pipeline of the point at Point Loma
Temp on the surface 68
Temp at Depth 51
Max Depth 77 ft
Average Depth 60ft
Visibility up top was 8-10, down deep 25-30ft
Dive time 45 minutes

Dive Two:
Ruby E Wreck
Temp on the surface was a warm 68
Temp at depth a brisk 54
Max Depth 74 ft
Average Depth 65ft
Visibility on Top was 8-10
Visibility on the wreck was 15-20
Dive Time 49 minutes

Jim, Linda, Dinesh and I met up at Dana Landing at 830ish and loaded the boat in the water and the gear in the boat and we were off to see what we could see in the sea. Jim brought along the coordinates to the PIPELINE but once in the area we were unsure if they were correct so we found some kelp and bottom structure with depth gauge and over the side we went. Jim and Dinesh were in team one and Linda and I were in team two. As we dropped down through the murky greenness that is SOCAL Summer ocean color we were captivated by the sunlight streaming through the kelp forest. For those who haven’t made the trip to dive California Kelp, you really need to do this dive. On a good sun shine day it is truly breathtaking. Down we went as the water got colder and colder and clearer and clearer. As we halted our decent just off the bottom we discovered a mostly bedrock and sandy bottom with scattered boulders rising up and kelp growing skyward from their holdfasts. Giving a quick buddy check and received the OK we headed off to explore. Instantly I was in heaven as everywhere I looked there were nudibranchs of all kinds. On this dive I spotted Hudson’s Dorids, Hermissenda Crassicornis, Spanish Shawls, Polycera Tricolor, Doriopsilla albopunctata, Anisodoris Nobilis, and many many Diaulula Sandiegensis in both white and yellow color patterns. I snapped pictures till my finger began to cramp as we moved along the rock piles. I had paused to take some photos of a 3 foot ling cod when I notice Linda waving at me frantically and pointing to the bottom of a coral mound. Moving in close I spotted the object of her excitement. It was a two spotted octopus hiding in a hole that was somewhat too small for it. Even with its legendary collapsible body, he could only squeeze in about half of his body. I took couple pics and then we moved on so as not to upset him to the point of inking himself.

As we moved along our course I noticed that my hands were REALLY feeling cold and my face was prickly. I looked over at Linda and even through the turbid water she looked a little blue and frozen. It was time to head back to the boat for some much needed sunshine warmth. We made a nice slow accent, the water temp at our safety stop was a toasty 67 and we paused to enjoy the schools of fish and one baseball sized Noris Top-snail covered with barnacles munching some kelp.

Soon we were back on the boat and out of the wet neoprene to warm up. Snacks and water were shared and stories of the dive exchanged as we motored to the next sight.

Our next dive was on the Ruby E and having off gassed on the trip over we had a solid 1 hour surface interval. Thawed out and back in the water we went. I was first down the line and at about 30 ft I was surrounded by a large school of striped kelp bass. There were easily 50-75 fish swirling around me but with each exhalation my bubbles spooked them farther off until they vanished in the gloom and I continued down the line to the bow. I drifted down like a skydiver, arms and legs out, face down as the wreck appeared out of the gloom. I smiled at the 20ft of visibility and no surge at all. Adding a burst of air to the bc I stopped just over the bow and surveyed the sight. This is one of my favorite sights to dive and on a good day is truly awesome. The abundance of life and diversity of creatures always makes for an adventure. Jim, Linda and Dinesh joined me and we started our tour. I spotted a beautiful Tritonia Festiva on a red Gorgonian and took a few digital memories to show the folks back home. The secret to finding things great and small is moving slowly and LOOK. Many people watch for things but don't LOOK for things. On this dive I found a Catalina Nudibranch that was so small I couldn't get a picture of it. End to end it was perhaps 3mm long. Too cool. Fish also love this wreck and many perch and greenling call it home, along with bass and ling cod, barracuda are sometimes seen here as well. None this trip but I am always looking. Around and around, up and over, down and under we went till the bottom time was nearing its end and we moved back up the line for our safety stop. Pausing with Dinesh at 35 ft we spotted a purple jellyfish that seem to be everywhere this year. I don't recall a dive in the last 10 that I haven’t seen at least one. This individual moved along next too us and the temptation was too great for me, unclipping the camera I followed it to snap a few photos of these strange and beautiful creatures.

Having off gassed well, we all clambered back on board and headed back to the dock. Upon arrival it was quite evident that it was 4th of July in San Diego. The bay was covered with silent sailboats and wailing Waverunners. The lifeguards and Coast Guard were out in force to protect and serve and I am sure rescue and save. I am sure they had a very busy day. I have to say, "Thanks Guys"

After lugging the gear back to the truck, we patted backs and shook hands and promised to dive together again real SOON!!

Terry S.

Dived Anacapa today off the Spectre - conditions were better than I've seen in a couple of years! We had 50ft+ visibility at all our dive sites (at least until 40 divers jumped in the water and stirred it up). Checked out Landing Cove, Cathedral Cove, and my favorite: Underwater Island. Zero current, hardly any surge, flat seas and amazing visibility. WOW.

Downside: zero sun until the boat headed back to the mainland. Bah.

It was also our first dive with our new HydroOptix masks, so there's a chance that the vis only looked so good because everything now looks further away than it used to. :) But everyone else was raving about the visibility, too, so I don't think it was just our masks!

Spotted one ENORMOUS sea hare, lots of nudis, a zebra goby, kelpfish, greenlings, huge schools of blacksmith, baby senoritas, monstrous sheephead and garibaldi: all the usual suspects! Also got a brief sea lion visitation at Cathedral Cove. Pretty good day overall.

A few pics, including us in our dopey, bug-eyed masks:

http://gallery.thelaitys.com/20040705_anacapa

Date: 7/03/04
Dive Location: Deer Creek Beach
Time:12:30pm
Bottom Time: 1:15
Max Depth: 29ft
Vis:10-20ft
Wave height: 2ft
Temp at depth: 65-61 degrees
Tide information: High tide was arount 11:50am
Comments: A nice dive, with the low vis that is usual at Deer Creek. The water was still a little cold for fully draining our tanks at this depth, unfortunately. Some rather substantial swell at these shallow depths in the second half of the dive, but all in all pretty nice.

divinman:
There is no better way to start your Independence Day than with two nice dives with good friends.
Terry S.

Outstanding report Terry! Thanks for it, and the cool photos. Great shot of the Octo.

John-Boy

alaity47:
Dived Anacapa today off the Spectre - conditions were better than I've seen in a couple of years!

Great report Anastasia! I've seen bug eyes like that before, but I think it was on the Sci-Fi channel. :wink: Cool photo of the monster Sea Hare. You should have put a saddle on him and galloped along the sea floor!

John-Boy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom