July 31st - Spectre

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ligersandtions

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A group of us are going out on the Spectre (CalBoat Diving) for July 31st (Saturday). Spectre leaves from Ventura, and we are planning to do *four* dives on this trip at Anacapa or Santa Cruz Island.

We have ten spots reserved. Unfortunately, one person had to pull out due to an injury. So now we have one spot open.

This charter was originally set up for those diving DIR or those who are curious about it. About half of our group will be new DIR or DIR-curious divers, so it should be a lot of fun.

If you're interested in joining us (DIR, curious, or not), please shoot me a PM and I'll give you any final details.

This trip should be a blast. Hope you can make it!

Wish I could have joined you! I'm definitely DIR curious - I went to see MHK's first-night lecture a couple years ago - but have been reluctant to continue out of, well, fear probably. :wink: I fear I wouldn't be able to pass! Anyway, if you plan on doing another trip for the "DIR-curious" please PM me, I'd lke to go.

Hey Nicole my buddy was on the Spectre today teaching a class. He was the tall guy with short whitish/blonde hair, his name is Scott. Did you see him?

John

P.S. How was the diving?

Wish I could have joined you! I'm definitely DIR curious - I went to see MHK's first-night lecture a couple years ago - but have been reluctant to continue out of, well, fear probably. :wink: I fear I wouldn't be able to pass! Anyway, if you plan on doing another trip for the "DIR-curious" please PM me, I'd lke to go.

I don't know about GUE, but the UTD essentials class (and possible essentials of tech) are not pass/fail. They are workshops meant to show you how to practice the skills properly. It's natural to be too hard on ourselves, I cannot begin to express how stressed I made myself during my Essentials class (and further UTD classes after). The important thing to remember is we dive to have fun, and we take these classes to become better divers to hopefully have more fun. The instructors, especially in the Essentials level courses (at UTD) are definately there to help you achieve that.

There's nothing to be afraid of, really. The group of divers I frequent (both UTD and GUE alike) are not critical people, there's no DIR police that I've encountered around here (in SoCal) that is going to harrass you over your skills or gear, the instructors really only care about helping you become better. But we all still tend to expect perfection of ourselves, but we're in the class because we're not perfect. Just take the plunge and have fun, don't let fear of the unknown hold you back :)

Oh, and BTW: these DIR trips are scheduled frequently (at least every month or two).

Last edited:

I will let you know next time we do anything like this. We really enjoy diving with DIR-curious divers....especially ones who have either had a bad experience with a "DIR" diver or ones who are just genuinely interested. There really isn't anything to fear. Fundamentals was one of those classes where we got a ton of feedback and became much more confident in the water. If you're interested, please do shoot me a PM.

Hey Nicole my buddy was on the Spectre today teaching a class. He was the tall guy with short whitish/blonde hair, his name is Scott. Did you see him?

John

P.S. How was the diving?

I don't think I met Scott. There were two lady instructors on the boat, but other than that, I don't know who was instructing or how many classes there were.

Conditions were very nice. We hit a couple really nice spots and had a ton of fun....plus the crossing was almost completely flat (so flat that even if I had forgotten my Bonine, I probably still could go down below!). Unfortunately, Greg's sun dance didn't work quite as well as we had hoped and we only had sun for a little bit between the third and fourth dives.

DIR is when you get to wear all black gear and act all badass.

I don't understand this comment at all (and you seem to make these kinds of comments quite often). Have you ever dived with any of us or is this purely based on the "I hide behind my online persona" crap you see on SB??

Just ask the people on the Spectre last week....or the people that were in our Reef Check training....none of the people in the DIR crew I dive with act badass (in fact, most of us are quite aware of the many things that we still need to work on).

LeeAnn, we'd LOVE to have you (and anyone else) join for some future "DIR-curious" events. We're just divers who have adopted a few gear and procedural protocols that we feel make our diving easier and less stressful, all in an attempt to maximize our FUN (as leabre noted)! Pretty confident that I can say we're hardly an intimidating bunch. :)

John, Spectre (as always) was great. Nice conditions at both Anacapa and Santa Cruz. Should have a trip report up later tonight. We *did* miss you, though!

I don't understand this comment at all (and you seem to make these kinds of comments quite often). Have you ever dived with any of us or is this purely based on the "I hide behind my online persona" crap you see on SB??

Just ask the people on the Spectre last week....or the people that were in our Reef Check training....none of the people in the DIR crew I dive with act badass (in fact, most of us are quite aware of the many things that we still need to work on).

Don't be so sensitive.

I've dived with DIR people both in SoCal and currently in Idaho. They make fun of my gears, I make fun of their gears.

Back
Top Bottom