July Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pkgman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for a little advice on what exposure suit to dive in the last week of July in Fiji. I am going with my LDS July 25 - Aug 3 to Wananavu Resort diving with Kai Viti Divers.
I dive Cozumel in February in a full 3mil, and usually stay pretty warm. This year was a little cool on a couple of dives that reached 77 Degrees.

So any advice or insights would be appreciated.
Thanks

I'm about 6 ft and skinny, and I get cold easily. So take that in to consideration. I was in Fiji last year the end up June and was cold in my 3 mm full, even with a beanie. After a couple of days, I changed to my 5/4 full suit and was quite comfortable. I didn't wear the beanie with the 5/4. Water temps were around 74-76 f (Aeris degrees)

We stayed at Wananavu the first 3 days and did some diving with Kai Viti, then the Naia picked us up from there and we did a 7 day trip with them. One day we saw the Kai Viti boat way out in the Bligh waters. They must have been on a 3 tank trip where they go farther off shore and make a whole day of the trip.

Fiji in March water temp 84. Mostly I wore a Tshirt and rash guard. Of course the last time I wsas called skinny was in high school.

Still debating on a 5 mil or just adding a core warmer.

Great pictures diveborg, I am so looking forward to this trip. My first to the South Pacific.

Farsidefan1, looks like the March diving was pretty toasty.

Thanks all

I was on the same trip in June 08 as diveborg...Hi Bruce....I am slender and I wore a full 3mm with a beanie I was comfortable...sometimes on the afternoon dives I was a little chilled toward the end....my buddy was in a full 3mm as well and sometimes he wore a hooded vest over his suit....I don't think you will be too hot in the 5mm unless you are extremely hot natured...I would at least take the core warmer if the weather is cloudy or rainy it will feel good to have it on....remember June is fall/winter for that side of the planet....have fun I wish I was going back...

Still debating on a 5 mil or just adding a core warmer.

Great pictures diveborg, I am so looking forward to this trip. My first to the South Pacific.

Farsidefan1, looks like the March diving was pretty toasty.

Thanks all

Your first time? Don't go. It won't be your last.

I can't help with thesuit. I was there in Jan 2007 (summer) and the water was 87*F according to my puter. I wore a Microprene (.5 mil) and was toasty.

We traveled to Beqa Lagoon Resort in July 2007 and I took a full 3 mil suit with a hooded vest and never used the hooded vest. I found the 3 mil to be very warm and comfortable. However, each person is different and if you get cold easily then I would recommend the 3 mil and a hooded vest.

The diving is amazing in Fiji. You will have a great time.

Regards,

Bill

Great information.
You guys are just getting me more excited for this trip.
I don't get cold too easy, besides if the diving is good I kinda stay more focused on the diving.
I will take my full 3 mil and bring a 5 mil core warmer along just in case.
Thanks again everybody. This forum is great!
Shell

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom