June Honeymoon in Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_dippert

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
June 23-30.

I have a friend that stayed at the Cozumel Palace and loved it. I like the all inclusive option, and right now they have a $1500 hotel credit deal for 2012. And of course complimentary honeymoon packages. We want to include some scuba diving into the honeymoon, but probably no more than 2 days. We will be getting certified before the trip. Check-out dives are in local (Indiana) quarries. We're only going to travel with minimal gear (mask, snorkel, fin). Since this is a honeymoon, I'd like to keep things as simple as possible. Because of our limited experience and convenience, I'm thinking using the resort's diving op (aquaworld?) is our best option. I've read a few other threads recommending various ops, it sounds like you can't really go wrong with any of them, especially since we're so new at this that everything is still exciting.

Any other recommendations for hotels for a honeymoon? Activities besides diving on/around Coz? Recommended diving areas for newbies? What are your tips/tricks for getting flying in cheap? Straight into Coz, into Cancun and taxi to Coz?

I am a bit confused about what you are looking for? What is the $1500 credit you are talking about?
Is that with a particular hotel chain or a gift or ???

By all means, fly directly into Cozumel. I would not recommend the bag-drag from Cancun to a first-timer. It is a long day, airports, buses, ferry, and then taxi to your hotel once you get to the island. Make it simple... fly INTO Cozumel.

robin

I am a bit confused about what you are looking for? What is the $1500 credit you are talking about?
Is that with a particular hotel chain or a gift or ???
robin
Cozumel Vacations | Cozumel Palace | Cozumel, Mexico <--Link to the promotion page.
It looks like you get 'hotel dollars' to spend while staying at one of the Palace Resorts. In my case it would be Cozumel.

Have not used Aquaworld,but never heard anything good about them.I understand they offer cattleboat type experiences and little customer service.Better off using any other operator that would pick you up at your hotel dock. I am sure there are people here who will give examples of Aquaworlds type of service or lack of.

I have never stayed at the Palace. It is very highly rated and even though the beach is not natural they must have a man made beach. The restaurants get top reviews and you are not far from town if you want to go shopping and have dinner out. A tip from trip Adviser: &#8220;We used resort credit to upgrade to an ocean view room with a balcony. I would highly recommend this room, even at a higher cost. The ocean is literally right below the balcony, so we felt like we were on the pool deck and beach even from our room.&#8221; Honestly, this place sounds perfect!

For diving who cares if the Op is cattle boat and only goes to a couple reefs. Your new! My thought is bigger boats are more comfortable and shallower dives are a good idea for new divers. The one consideration is cost. If they are reasonable go for it ($60-85 for two tanks). If they are much more than $90, find another Op. There are only a truck load on the island. I always recommend Blue XT Sea. http://www.bluextseadiving.com/

Other things to do. First avoid mopeds. If you rent a jeep make sure if the insurance covers you off road as it likely does not. The other side of the island is worth doing. Beaches, local food, bars, etc. Rent a jeep, or get a taxi. You can also get a taxi tour of the islands, the ruins, etc. You can play Golf. There is a Dolphin adventure/swim south. You can go snorkeling and swimming (checkout the Mystic Snorkeling Tour). Rent Jetskis or go paragliding. Deep sea fishing can be a blast if you like to fish or enjoy the Ocean. Pick up some brochures at the hotel, they likely list all the attractions. Cozumel Tours

The main store is just south of town. "Clean and large, the Chedraui grocery is one of several great sources of ingredients for either a great pickup or elaborate home-cooked meal." Great place to pick up sunscreen, Fruit, Avocados, candy, a hat, crocs, whatever.

Honestly while there, I just dive, eat, and sleep! but I hear there is more! :D

Also look into Aldora (aldora.com)

Several dive ops stop at a beach club between dives. Much nicer than rocking on a boat plus you get time on a real beach.

Larger tanks than AL80 would not hurt for new divers.

If you go high end with Coz Palace, why skimp on the diving experience?

I fly into Cancun and take the bus/ferry option but flying into Cozumel is mo better. Do not buy transfers as a package for the airport to Coz Palace.

For Honeymoon, I would stay at the Palace FOR SURE! You usually only get 1 Honeymoon, so do it RIGHT!

For diving, avoid Aquaworld like the PLAGUE, especially since you all will be new novice divers.

Everyone has their fav ops that they will toot their horns for, so be ready for 100x reccomendations of OMGTHEBESTEVER __________________!

Personally, for new divers, on their honeymoon, I would highly recomend Christi's Blue XTSea. I HAVE NEVER USED HER BEFORE. She is highly recomended though, and has top notch service, great boats and attentive DM's that are great for new divers: bluextseadiving.com

Aldora may be a little too hard core for brand new divers wanting to relax.....though they are a great Op, 5 hours out to dive each day may be a little much for you all.

Enjoy the Palace, my wife and I honeymooned there when it was still the Plaza Las Glorias in 1996! :)

Aldora may be a little too hard core for brand new divers wanting to relax.....though they are a great Op, 5 hours out to dive each day may be a little much for you all.

I do not run the Aldora marketing but to my knowledge they are not just "Hard core gonzo" divers. A dive op with multiple boats has the ability to put divers of similar skill levels together. Thus the boat is not limited should they decide to go to Maracaibo or other advanced site. Plus there are many sites that are just as nice for people with hundreds of dives as they are for new divers.

My suggestion is that you pick a dive op that stops at a beach club between dives. Whether that is Aldora or another dive op is your choice.

Also consider whether you want a boat with shade. I do since I burn if not careful.

Last edited:
For diving, avoid Aquaworld like the PLAGUE, especially since you all will be new novice divers.

Personally, for new divers, on their honeymoon, I would highly recomend Christi's Blue XTSea. I HAVE NEVER USED HER BEFORE. She is highly recomended though, and has top notch service, great boats and attentive DM's that are great for new divers: bluextseadiving.com

Why avoid Aquaworld like the plague? That's a pretty strong dislike with no reasons stated?

I like Christi, she is my go to OP and a wonderful dinner companion, but why such hate? Do tell....:D

Why avoid Aquaworld like the plague? That's a pretty strong dislike with no reasons stated?

I like Christi, she is my go to OP and a wonderful dinner companion, but why such hate? Do tell....:D

We dive with Alison www.scubawithalison.com

But we do also eat with Christi.... possibly as soon as Wednesday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom