June in Upper Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivemasterDennis

DivemasterDennis
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm taking my nephew to Key Largo for a 5 day dive trip in early June. Locals, please advise on water temps and if we should expect much current upper keys the first half of June. We will NOT be on any of the wrecks. Thanks in advance for the feedback.
DivemasterDennis

I am not exactly a local. I have been to Key Largo for a week of diving now, three years running. I dive the shallow reefs where the sand is about 30'. I like the light and the plentiful corals. Generally, those sites and there are a bunch have virtually no current. If you get out into deeper water like the Spiegel Grove, you are probably going to have current. But I could not say how much. In July, the water temps were in the low eighties on the shallow reefs. I dove a skin so I really did not track it that close. I don't pay that much attention to water temp unless I am starting to get forced into a wet suit. As for wrecks, there is a shallow wreck the Benwood that went down in '42 in a convoy collision (WWII). It is in about 25'-45' of water depending on where you go. It is well worth diving.

I live a couple hours away from Key Largo but make several trips each year for a bit of diving. Usually June has pretty good conditions in my experience, but as with anytime of the year, the weather can turn for the worse. Most of the shallow reef diving is done off a boat that is tied to a mooring ball or has dropped an anchor in the sand. Current may be present, but is not really an issue very often. I've only had a couple of shallow dives where I felt I needed to really work to get back to the mooring line. If top side marine conditions get robust, there can sometimes be a bit of surge present. My experience is that the boat captain's talk and if one signals that a shallow site has nasty current, then the captain on the boat you're on will avoid the site.

I don't have my log book handy, but I think late May/early June last year was in the upper 70's if I recall. Enjoy your trip: Key Largo diving is great.

I like the Benwood as well--always fishy!! We dive there a few times a year as I have a sister to sponge off of........... I was certified there in the 80's. It's been warm this winter up where we live in FL--water temps 70-74 all winter which is unusually warm for here. It is almost always warmer in KL. There is a weather station on the Molasses Reef tower and I will post a link shortly.

---------- Post added March 18th, 2013 at 11:33 AM ----------

NDBC - Station MLRF1

Link to Molasses Reef tower weather and sea conditions....................

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom