June is Diver Safety Month

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freewillie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just found out that June is diver safety month. DAN is apparently having a number of articles and tweets on diver safety during the month. For you facebook followers simply like DAN on facebook and you will be eligible for video conferences or for Twitter sign up with DAN for tweets.

I was discussing our up coming vacation to Maui with our friends. Their 10 year old is eager to certify before our August vacation or at the minimum will complete class/book sessions and do the check out dives while on vacation. The older sister is 14 and my daughter's age. They completed their PADI certifications last year while on vacation together, and both have around 5 dives total since certification. The mom is a vacation diver and is scared to dive with the kids as beginners without help. We have decided on a scuba shop and are booking only beginner dives and in addition will share the expense of hiring a DM for the girls as well. After all, a diver has to know their limitations.

I intend to start (I know, famous last words) exercising soon. I've been out of the exercise loop for a little bit. I've always been active and as a former swimmer generally been in good health. Now it's beach and pool weather I'm getting a little annoyed at my kids telling me "Daddy has a jelly belly." What? I've got a BMI 24 and almost the same weight during my swimming days. I prefer to think of it as my "happy fat." Not really fat per se, but I certainly could do with some exercise.

So, for the month of June, are you going to do anything special for Diver Safety Month?

Fun and safe diving.

Thanks for the notice. Nothing special planned in diving, except for the normal amount of shore diving and underwater photography. Maybe I'll get some more safety gear.

I'll probably read some of the DAN articles and try to be extra safe this month :wink:. Sounds like your friend's family is well on its way to become addicted to diving. That's great.

Good on you to start exercising again. A BMI of 24 is considered a regular weight, although I don't think that index is a valid measure of health. It's all a matter of consistency and routine.

Back
Top Bottom