Junior gets playful ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
One of Seattle's most popular dive sites is also a popular hangout for harbor seals. And a mother seal and pup have been teaming up with divers lately. Mom has been working hard to teach Junior the technique of dining by divelight ... to the delight and/or chagrine of the divers involved (depending on how important visibility is to you). Well, as Junior gets older he has discovered that divers can be useful for more than just an easy meal.

Last evening Jimmie and I headed out on a very low tide. We swam out to the faded yellow buoy, dropped down to about 30 fsw, and were almost instantly met by our diving companions for the evening. They were in rare form, doing high-speed fly-byes and barrel rolls ... trailing little silt cyclones in their wake ... as we made our way down the boundary rope. Now, vis wasn't so hot to begin with ... maybe in the range of 8-10 feet ... but our little phocine friends reduced it to total silt-out with their antics. That wouldn’t have been too bad … we’ve grown accustomed to this nightly routine … except that Junior is discovering new games, and last night we graduated to the status of Toys.

As we were slowly making our way downslope he’d come swooping toward us out of the darkness and silt, making high-speed passes underneath us. This can be startling when you’re only about 2 feet off the bottom to begin with, and you have less than a second to see him coming before he's almost brushing your stomach going by. This went on for several minutes, till we finally got to some pilings where he couldn’t maneuver as deftly with those huge stationary objects in the way. We found three large octopus tucked neatly into the pilings ... all the while getting buzzed by the little guy ... we then turned toward the I-beams, slowly making our way up from 105 to about 85 fsw.

Suddenly I felt something tugging on my left elbow … which startled me a bit, since Jimmie was on my right. After nearly jumping out of my drysuit, I managed to glimpse Junior nipping at my arm … fortunately he wasn’t able to get it in his mouth, and was more nudging me with his muzzle than actually trying to bite me. I think he just wanted some attention. So I reached over and scratched his head. Like any other pup, he promptly turned over and presented his tummy. OK ... so I scratched that too. It’s probably not smart doing this to a wild critter, but he seemed to like it. At least till Mom came by and nudged him away from me (probably reminding him that dining by divelight is serious business). So they turned to the pursuit of a school of salmon fry that kept swimming into our light beams.

We proceeded to a rockpile where a wolf eel’s been hanging out, but there was little chance of seeing her tonight. Frankly, with those two seals swooping around I was hoping she stayed tucked as far back into her den as possible. We looked for the decorated warbonnet pair we’d seen down there last week, but no luck. We did, however, find a smaller pair over at the bent end of the I-beam, so it wasn’t a total bust. Finally, we were getting close to deco so we headed back upslope, stopping at another rock pile at about 40 fsw to check on an octopus that usually dens there (not home tonight). All the while, Junior was continuing his game of swimming underneath us … occasionally nipping at fins or drysuit ... and stopping for a quick scratch on head, back, or tummy.

As we approached our safety stop, Jimmie started having some issues with his drysuit dump valve. I was trying to pay attention to him, in case he needed help, but Junior had other ideas. At one point, while I was hovering next to Jimmie and not paying attention to Junior’s antics, he swam underneath me and got pinned between me and the rip rap underneath where I was hovering. That was eery … having a harbor seal wedged between my stomach and the bottom. I could feel his tail whapping into my chest as he struggled to get free … needless to say I responded as quickly as possible to let him out of there.

After the safety stop we did a vertical ascent … between Jimmie’s issues and the fact that there was essentially zero vis, it just seemed the thing to do. As we broke the surface, a third face appeared right next to ours. The little guy’s expression was priceless … as if to say “come back, I want to play some more”. He followed along as we surface-swam to shore, and didn’t leave till we were standing up taking our fins off.

I love playing with kids, and seal kids are no exception … but I am a bit worried that he’s becoming too “domesticated”. Nonetheless, despite the mess him and his mom kicked up, he was a lot of fun to have along as a dive companion. I just hope the little guy curbs his enthusiasm as he bulks up, or he’ll soon discover a new game … bowling for divers …

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Gosh that was a great story. I have never been in a position to dive with seals but would love it. What kind of teeth do they have? Could he have punctured your dry suit if he had successfully nipped on your arm? That could deteriorate into a cold situation in the PNW.

Keep em coming!

:lol2:

Funny story.... I wonder whats it's like to pet a seal... are they cute?

Great story, especially after long and tedious exams... I need a seal to pet right now. :-(

Gifts from God . . .

NW, I'm sure he became a bit of an irritant, but think of those people in the world who never have had, and never will have the opportunity to enjoy such an experience!!!

Tom Smedley:
What kind of teeth do they have? Could he have punctured your dry suit if he had successfully nipped on your arm?

Seal teeth are much like a dog's ... but to be honest, I haven't heard of them actually inflicting damage. Divers do get "nipped" ... but I think it's more social interaction than a sign of aggression, and I am not aware of a seal actually injuring a diver. They often go after fin tips ... and from the feel of it you'd expect to find teeth marks in the fin. But I haven't yet found any.

I do think they could easily puncture a drysuit ... and have to admit the concern was on my mind at the time. But it didn't happen.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Seals are general just playful and curious but do have the ability to attack and injure anyone who annoys them. Always be careful around seals and don't try to be too friendly with them they won't always play fair and will win any confrontation. they are easily strong enough to tear through Neoprene. By all means observe and have limited interaction with seal but never loose sight of the fact that they are stronger and faster than You and very unpredictable.

I've had the experience of having a sea lion close it's mouth around my gloved hand and tug a bit (much like a playful dog would "grab" your hand) while diving at Santa Barbara Island off of LA. No harm done, and since I had grown up with dogs it had a very familiar feel to it, so I just sat still and didn't yank my hand back or anything. It was quite playful. My buddy had one do the same with his regulator hose, so keep a grip on your reg! :snorkel:

NWGratefulDiver:
last night we graduated to the status of Toys.
HHHhhaarrrrr!
Love it!
Thanks Bob
Rick

Great story! I hope that the "pup" had fun. Much like a dog, if the animal wants to play you can't stop it anyways. So I guess it was great to just "go with the flow", eh?

Back
Top Bottom