Junior OW in Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gotwake

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It's our first time going to Curacao. We are staying at the Hilton Curacao in late November. My daughter will turn 10 at the beginning of November. My plan is to get her book and pool work finished and do a referral for her OW dives in Curacao. It will probably be through SDI. Any recommendations on a shop for her checkout dives?

Hi gotwake,

There is an Ocean Encounters dive shop at Hilton Curacao, but I am not sure if they have anybody teaching SDI standards. They for sure do PADI. Maybe send an email to ask before making a decision with what organization to have your daughter do the book and pool work: info@oceanencounters.com

If you like to discover a bit more of Curacao than just the city area of Willemstad, rent a car and visit us at Ocean Encounters West in Westpoint. Our house reef is outstanding, and might be a nice one to dive with your daughter once she's certified :)

Greetings from Curacao
Andreas
..:: All West Curacao ::..
..:: Ocean Encounters West ::..

Andreas

Thanks for the info. We are definitely going to explore the island. After doing a little research last night, we will be making the trip to Westpoint. How long will it take to get there from Willemstad?

My LDS told me that she can be checked out by instructors from other organizations, but I may just put her through PADI just to eliminate any possible problems.

I may have seen an SDI sign at the dive shop at Daniels. Gustele, is that Trunk Divers? Also the dive shop at Marta Kosjie has an SDI sign. These dive shops are both on the road to Westpunt not on a beach. Other than just "seeing" these signs, all the instruction on the island I know is from PADI.
I looked up Trunk Divers and it's PDIC | Onderwater in de West
I think I'm spelling Marta Kosije wrong? They've been in to eat and I never asked for any literature. I can stop next week if you really want her to take the SDI course but it would be much easier to do it at your hotel.
OK The dive center Curacao is at Martha Koosje and has IDD courses. http://www.curacao.com/Choose-Your-Adventure/Diving-Snorkeling/Dive-Operators/Divecenter-Curacao
So, no SDI that I could find.

Last edited:
I may have seen an SDI sign at the dive shop at Daniels. Gustele, is that Trunk Divers? Also the dive shop at Marta Kosjie has an SDI sign. These dive shops are both on the road to Westpunt not on a beach. Other than just "seeing" these signs, all the instruction on the island I know is from PADI.
I looked up Trunk Divers and it's PDIC | Onderwater in de West
I think I'm spelling Marta Kosije wrong? They've been in to eat and I never asked for any literature. I can stop next week if you really want her to take the SDI course but it would be much easier to do it at your hotel.
OK The dive center Curacao is at Martha Koosje and has IDD courses. Divecenter Curacao / Dive Operators / Diving & Snorkeling / Choose Your Adventure / Home - Curacao
So, no SDI that I could find.
Sunshine,
That may be an old link to the dive center at Martha Koosje.
The website of the current owners is: Relaxed Guided Dives and yes they are IDD.

Hi Sunshine,

When I was there in July, I stopped in at DiveCenter Curacao. Website: Relaxed Guided Dives I have their phone # as 8687710, Run by Petriccia & Rob Botbijl. Since they are close to the villa, I grabbed their brochure to throw into my house manual. They seem to go by the name of "Relaxed Guided Dives" also, as their email reflects this as well; RGDives@onenet.an
Yep, they are PADI & IDD. They are right next to the Martha Koosje Restaurant.

Flamingo
Flamingo Villa, Curacao Luxury Villa Rental

Thanks for the info Sunshine, I agree that it would be much better to do her checkout dives at the hotel. So, I am just going to put her in the PADI program. I think their Junior program may be a little more in-depth anyway. For some reason, my LDS has started pushing SDI and that's the org my wife went through this past year when she went through OW.

I'm ready to come down to dive. I had broken my foot back in March and it has basically taken me out of diving for the entire summer.

Andreas

Thanks for the info. We are definitely going to explore the island. After doing a little research last night, we will be making the trip to Westpoint. How long will it take to get there from Willemstad?

Hi gotwake,

From Hilton to Westpoint you drive roughly 45 minutes. If you let us know ahead when you are planning to visit us, we might even be able to arrange a boat dive to Watamula for you and the other divers in your family. Just send us an email to info@oceanencounterswest.com, so we can plan ahead.

Greetings from sunny Curacao
Andreas

gotwake, you won't regret going with PADI and ocean encounters! The managers at the Hilton and at Westpoint are great guys - they bend over backwards to see you enjoy your trip. I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Andreas yet, but next trip (und er spricht Deutsch -- er kann nicht so schlimm sein...LOL!!:).

Back
Top Bottom