Junk Food Blues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Giggi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I personally am not experiencing the junk food blues, but my poor family has been subjected to the fruits of my mid-life crisis. Since the beginning of the year, I have been weaning the family off of junk foods (cookies, fried foods, and ice cream) and replacing them with healthy alternatives.

Everyone in my house is overweight, except for the dogs, and while I can't do much about hubby's food choices (he does work out regularly, so I'm not as worried, other than the high cholesterol), I am trying to teach the kids to make healthy choices. I was adamant when they were very young, but I went wrong somewhere. Maybe where I went wrong was in allowing them to spend so much time with my mother, the junk food junkie, who fills them up with soda pop and all kinds of sugary goodness.

Now, I have become known around my house as the "food Nazi" and "tofu hippie" and while it was funny at first, it's getting quite annoying, but since I mentioned it is starting to bother me, hubby has been more supportive.

However, I am beginning to see the fruits of my love. My younger son chooses granola over Pop Tarts most mornings, and raw fruits or veggies as an afternoon snack, and I see that he's starting to slim down some. My older son still rebels, but at least I have them both convinced that one soda pop a day is sufficient.

However, my mother still continues to buy them junk food in mass quantities, even buying them each a 12 pack of pop to bring home (and while they know that one pop a day is sufficient, they still manage to drink it all in a few days). I don't mind when hubby takes them out to buy a bottle of pop, or even a bag of chips, but how on earth do I keep my mother from sending them home with all this crap, without cutting her off from seeing her grandsons? I have asked her repeatedly to stop sending this crap home, but she persists, saying that I drank pop and ate junk food all my life and it didn't hurt me any....HELLO!!! I'm 100 lbs. overweight and it's killing me! I tell her that, but she's so far in denial that she thinks her darling daughter is a size 6. It's nice to be so unconditionally loved....

I think I HAVE turned into the food Nazi, but instead of watching myself turn into my mother as I grow older, I'm turning into my mother in law (which probably isn't so bad, because she's a neat lady). Is that so bad?

Anyway, thanks to anyone who took the time to read this. I don't know whether I'm venting or asking for advice or what.

happy to hear about one more that went to the healthy side of life.

I have no right to speak as I'm eating everything, starting from steaks and ending with cookies/chocolates/pastries.

However, I keep myself relatively healthy by eating health food whenever I can, but you can't beat that empty feeling after 3 pounds of salad (real salad - not lettece) and having to wash that salad with a 2 pound steak or some carbohydrates..:D

good job! I am a warrior on this a bit myself. The school is like "oh crap, here she comes again" Everytime they say my son is doing something dangerous, (skateboarding to the bus, etc) I say "NO, YOU all are dangerous for kids by letting McDonalds into our school with those stupid french fry coupons you hand out when they read a book! Obesity is killing our kids...not skateboards, so get a grip people!" they think I am very irritating. (?me?)

Make your kids watch "Supersize Me". they will groan and moan, so pay them. You must brainwash your kids, society is. Push back.

LOL..what a GREAT idea and OH SO TRUE about the brainwashing. (Their dad has already brainwashed them about needing meat at every meal, bless his heart...He will also be educated.)

Apparently there was a TV show on the other night called "Honey, We're Killing the Kids!" I am hoping there will be a repeat so I can bribe my kids to sit down and watch it. From what I've heard, they take children with unhealthy diets and exercise, and use a computer to age-progress them to what they will look like at age 40, if they continue with their current habits.

We watched part of Supersize Me, and it was pretty hard to take...maybe too close to home (since we watched before I started making these drastic changes).

Giggi, Protein is an important part of healthy nutrition, Meat is just an "easy" source of it.

There was a big research not so long ago about soy beans (or tofu) as protein source for kids - the research stated very harshly against tofu in kids, apparently it has a special form of protein that can cause brain damage in kids.

here's a link I've found just by writing "soy brain damage" in google.

http://www.mercola.com/2000/aug/20/soy_dangers.htm

As with all things in life, we need to find balance. The fact that you are turning your life around is great... The best thing you can do is lead by example. If you are not bringing the junk food into your families life, then I feel, you are doing your part.

Since I started my "healthier lifestyle" I go grocery shopping and buy "better" foods.. Believe me, I am a LONG way from the perfect healthy life.. but I am getting better. I DO NOT stop my wife from buying anything, keeping it in our house.. This includes snacks for our granddaughter, her, etc.. I am responsible for what I put in my body.. nobody else makes those decisions for me. Like the other night, my wife is sick of chicken, so she orderd a pizza.. I said fine, I will eat "leftovers" while she has her pizza.. (She is at a weight she is comfortable with.. doesn't need the major overhaul that I do!)

How long did it take you to realize what the bad eating habits were doing? I am assuming years.. So it will take time for the family to come around too. You cannot force your ideals on others. You need to provide the information, and again, lead by example. The best way to push someone towards something, is to tell them they "can't".. There is NO way of forcing our ideals on others.. Yes, they are your kids, and you care for them, educate them, lead them down the right path, and hope and pray for the best.

If you tell them no soda in the house, they will probably start to sneak it in.. Hide it, etc. Better to have open communication (not nagging). If you keep saying the same thing over and over, the ears shut down, and the brain disengages.

What about doing family activities that require exercise? Biking, walking, swimming.. After dinner, the family goes for a walk and talks (not about food, about life in general). How about water? Have them dink 1 - 2 glasses with each meal. Instead of saying "no soda pop".. say "You need to dink 8 glasses of water a day". Focus on reinforcing the positive.

Look at the big picture. How are they doing in school? How about socially? Are they healthy (aside from being overweight)? Into drugs / alcohol (I pray not)?

Life presents many challenges for kids today.. Focus on the whole person, not just specific habits.. I am sure there are many positives that can be focused upon. After a while, they may also realize that what you have said (yes, they did actually hear it once or twice) makes sense.. Then they will start to see you losing weight, looking better, having more energy. Yes, they will notice! That will do more towards steering them in the right direction than anything you tell them.

As far as grandmothers go... (I am a grandfather as well)... You are lucky that the kids have someone in their life that loves them. Yes she may spoil them with pop and candy (as we ALL do).. You have stated your case, remind her from time to time.. and just enjoy life.. Sounds like you have a family that loves each other.. Be thankful for those little things.. the big things will work their way out.

*smiling* Thanks, Countryboy! Actually, my inlaws are now here for a visit and being the original food Nazis, they are seeing positive changes in the boys and in our eating habits. All of a sudden, I have some new allies, which is somewhat amusing.

My kids are learning, and you're right. I didn't change overnight, so neither will they.

THANKS!

I feel sorry for kids today, with fast food on every corner and junk food filling half of the grocery store, what used to be considered and treat is now a staple. Without the right coaching kids don't stand a chance. Most of America falls into the overweight category and is going to be 2nd only to smoking as the biggest health concern.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom