Jupiter Dive Report May 29, 2015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SSharkk

Contributor
Reaction score
24 + or – bull sharks

1 silky shark - I got to swim in parallel with this pretty girl all too briefly.

13 + or – caribbean reef sharks

28 goliath groupers

6 loggerhead sea turtles

1 green sea turtle

2 hawksbill sea turtles

1 kingfish

2 schools of jack crevalle

1 school of bonitos

Jupiter Dive Center,daily dive charters, scuba classes,

Captain – Mike Hoffman

Divemaster – Troy

Deckhand – Carson

Check In – Gerry Carroll, Phil Berg, Sam Pitman

Three tanks – Deep Ledge, Captain Mike’s, Tunnels

Seas – 3 ft. to 6 inches

Partly Cloudy

Water Temperature = 78 F

Air Temperature – Quite warm

Visibility - 30 to 70 ft. Depending On Location

Current – N, nil to moderate DOL

Fewer sharks than last Friday, offset by scoring a 3 bagger on turtle species and the silky was a doll. Hopefully the migrations will continue a bit longer.

Sounds like a great day. Today was nice as well: I went out on Captain Mike's boat this morning. Visibility was awesome and the current was almost nonexistent. On Area 51, we had 100 feet of vis in places. On Tunnels, the vis was better than I'd ever seen in the past. Probably 75 feet and that was on an out-going tide. Saw 10 goliath grouper hanging out together south of the doughnut hole. Only saw 6 or 7 reef sharks, but, given the good visibility, we saw them from a long way before they swam in close. Normally, they sort of just appear out of the 'mist'. Because of the lack of current, nobody made it as far as the doughnut, where I'm sure we'd have seen more. The seas settled down today too: what a beautiful day to be on and under the water.

24 + or – bull sharks

1 silky shark - I got to swim in parallel with this pretty girl all too briefly.

13 + or – caribbean reef sharks

28 goliath groupers

6 loggerhead sea turtles

1 green sea turtle

2 hawksbill sea turtles

1 kingfish

2 schools of jack crevalle

1 school of bonitos

Jupiter Dive Center,daily dive charters, scuba classes,

Captain – Mike Hoffman

Divemaster – Troy

Deckhand – Carson

Check In – Gerry Carroll, Phil Berg, Sam Pitman

Three tanks – Deep Ledge, Captain Mike’s, Tunnels

Seas – 3 ft. to 6 inches

Partly Cloudy

Water Temperature = 78 F

Air Temperature – Quite warm

Visibility - 30 to 70 ft. Depending On Location

Current – N, nil to moderate DOL

Fewer sharks than last Friday, offset by scoring a 3 bagger on turtle species and the silky was a doll. Hopefully the migrations will continue a bit longer.

Sounds like a great day. Today was nice as well: I went out on Captain Mike's boat this morning. Visibility was awesome and the current was almost nonexistent. On Area 51, we had 100 feet of vis in places. On Tunnels, the vis was better than I'd ever seen in the past. Probably 75 feet and that was on an out-going tide. Saw 10 goliath grouper hanging out together south of the doughnut hole. Only saw 6 or 7 reef sharks, but, given the good visibility, we saw them from a long way before they swam in close. Normally, they sort of just appear out of the 'mist'. Because of the lack of current, nobody made it as far as the doughnut, where I'm sure we'd have seen more. The seas settled down today too: what a beautiful day to be on and under the water.

Only one word describes how I feel after reading these threads, jealous. Will be back in a couple weeks

Thanks for the report sportxlh. I also love diving Palm Beach County in May. I am jealous, you guys had even better conditions and you saw some good animals. I am hoping we can get a few more spectacular dives in before the migrations are over for this year.

---------- Post added May 31st, 2015 at 07:30 AM ----------

I hope the conditions and animals hold for you scubadada. It has been an excellent shark and turtle season so far this year, and the goliath grouper numbers have very good as well.

I hope the conditions and animals hold for you scubadada. It has been an excellent shark and turtle season so far this year, and the goliath grouper numbers have very good as well.

Thanks, I've had my share of good shark dives this year already for a periodic visitor

I was out with JDC on May 13 and we had 3 Bull Sharks stay with us for the entire 2nd half of the dive, including much of the ascent. One of the 3 was quite a big, husky guy. I believe even Phil was impressed.

I also had 3 really great Lemon Shark dives with JDC in early Feb on Area 29, amongst the best shark dives I've had.

Good diving, Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom